UKC

Vango Halo/Tempest 300 - Any good??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
stuartgmilton 14 Mar 2014
Hey guys,

My wife and I + little 3yr old, have finally outgrown my stalwart of a Wynnster Cairn 2 for our 'throw it in the boot and go' weekends. So I've decided to upgrade slightly.

I'm looking at the Vango Halo 300 or the Tempest 300, has anyone had one of these and can they confirm the 3 person-ness of these tents?

Does anyone have a suggestion of a better alternative?

I'm interested in the thoughts of cooking in the doorway of these tents.

Many Thanks,
Stuart
 Andy Hardy 14 Mar 2014
In reply to stuartgmilton:

I just got one of these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-4-tent-id_8243148.html to replace a 20 year old hyperspace. Not as strong as a 4 season geodesic but for what I need it'll be fine. Porch is deffo big enough to cook in.
Bit too big though, for a slap it in the car and go, but cheers.
Saudi-Diver 14 Mar 2014

I have used a Halo 300 for about the last 2 years as a throw in the boot and go tent. I have always used it solo (car camping) as I like a lot of space. Its a nice strong tent and has kept me dry in lots of Welsh and Lake District rain. I usually cook in the porch using a Trangia with a gas conversion as its nice and stable. It would be big enough for 3 if using light weight mats (thermarests). Fitting a double Airbed and a single in would be tight. But as a weekend 2.5 person weekend car camping tent it would work. Longer periods away something bigger would be better.
In reply to Saudi-Diver:

Cheers Saudi, exactly what I wanted to hear.

However I just noticed the Pulsar, I wonder if that would fit the weekend bill and the slightly longer bill.
Bellie 14 Mar 2014

I have a Tempest 200, and another Vango tent. I have found them to be sound quality tents for the money. The 200 is a cosy two. My friends have a 300 for a bit more space for two, so I reckon a three year old would be ok in there as well. Cooking is fine in the porch, although getting in and out of the single entrance isn't ideal. That's why I also looked at switching to a Halo as an alternative base camp tent. The two entrances make it a much better experience. The Halo 300 should be ideal in that respect and offer a bit more useable internal space too (the tunnel of the Tempest means less sitting area).

Another colleague had a Halo 200 when I camped in Wales once and it did look better for sitting in. and nice and solid.

In reply to Bellie:

Another great review. I must say I like the two doors of the Halo, but I've never had a dome tent, so wonder how it is in wind compared to a tunnel.
 mxg 14 Mar 2014

I've got a Tempest 300. It's fine for car camping and sea kayak camping. You wouldn't want to carry it far on your back though. Enough room inside for two adults and a kid. You wouldn't get three adults sleeping in it unless you had co-ordinated rolling over in your sleep. We use light thermarest style mats.

You can cook in the porch but there isn't much room. Nobody could get past you if you were cooking in there. The outer door rolls to the side so you can't put poles under it to have a more covered entrance.

It's a good tent though, no leaks, easy to put up on your own and it's survived some fairly windy nights. I've had mine a few years now. I got it cheap because it was the previous year's model (!).
 Brownie 14 Mar 2014

Hi Stuart
I use Halo 400s for my DofE group and they would be snug for 4 adults, I'd go for one of these it will only cost a few bob more than a 300 and give you a bit more room. They are very stable and the two exits are handy, not for carrying though unless you have 4 DofEs to do it for you. I think the layout of the Halo is better for family camping than the Tempest, use Tempest200s for the Gold group as they are a bit more organised when camping.
B
In reply to Brownie:

Super, cheers guys, I really am tempted by the Halo.
 Andy Hardy 18 Mar 2014

Sorry for the late reply Stuart, but I should have said it packs smaller than my hyperspace.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...