UKC

Safe areas on Portland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RickGrundy 20 Mar 2014

Hi All,

I'm planning to head to Portland this weekend. Does anyone know if any of the areas on the West are climbable with safe access (excluding Blacknor Far South and Battleship which are obviously in a bad state)?

I'm assuming The Cuttings will be fine, has anyone been to Cheyne Weares lately? Did that escape the worst of the damage?

Cheers, Rick
Post edited at 22:28
OP RickGrundy 21 Mar 2014
In reply to RickGrundy:

Bump...
 balmybaldwin 21 Mar 2014
In reply to RickGrundy:

BMC are reporting quite a lot of mess on Cheyne Weares.

The cuttings is on the east of the island, not the west, but as is showing far fewer signs of damage... it will be busy though
 maybe_si 21 Mar 2014
In reply to RickGrundy:

Have been to the Cuttings a few times over the past few weeks, it's absolutely fine.... I'd be more concerned about the crappy forecast?!
 Rob Kennard 21 Mar 2014
In reply to RickGrundy:
I went to Battleship this week- only routes left of Keyboard wall are affected, and at BFS the routes affected are right of Master of the Rolls, although there has been a drop in the path, so the first bolts might be a little higher.
Post edited at 10:34
 Rob Kennard 21 Mar 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Cheyne is OK too - the beach has droppped at the right end making the fixed ropes a little more difficult to get to
OP RickGrundy 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Rob Kennard:

Thanks Rob,

Is the access okay to the rest of Battleship then? It looked from the photos I saw that the whole access path down the bank had turned into a new cliff?

Any info on the rest of the Blacknor cliffs?

Cheers,
 Mr p 21 Mar 2014
In reply to RickGrundy:

been to blacknor north and central all ok that end people where climbing at the south end but no one at far south
 Rob Kennard 21 Mar 2014
In reply to RickGrundy:
You will need to access battleship either via the Veranda approach or down the gully at the right end of Battleship main cliff( there are a few new bolts in the gully).
The path at Blacknor South has dropped 2m too- expect some harder (and for the time being) bolder starts
Post edited at 13:16
 Adam Perrett 22 Mar 2014
In reply to Rob Kennard:

I put a 'new' rope on the southern Battleship (Veranda) descent path today.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...