UKC

whats the pyrenees like in July

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mc2006 23 Mar 2014
What are the conditions like in July in the Pyrenees? I looking at staying in Benasque in the Spanish side.
I know it will be hot through the day and possible storms.
Will there be snow on higher peaks?
It will be our first climbing/hiking trip outside the UK.

Cheers
 Doug 23 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:

unlikely to be much snow by then apart from what's left of the glaciers.
 KA 23 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:
Last year there was a reasonable amount of snow for the normal route up Pico Posets, and crampons were necessary. That said, it was a bumper year for snow over there.

Plenty of photos and info here: http://www.hikepyrenees.co.uk/blog/page/4/
Post edited at 19:48
OP mc2006 23 Mar 2014
In reply to KA:

Ok, if theres no snow there not much point us going. Thanks
 Jasonic 24 Mar 2014
In reply to KA:

We also did Posets & crampons definitely needed- they have them for hire at the refuge.
redsonja 24 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:

we needed crampons, axe and rope to do pic aneto from the benasque side. I think it would be a great area for your first big trip
 Trangia 24 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Thunderstorms. They can be pretty dramatic!
 drolex 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Yep, careful with the thunderstorms in the afternoons. Early departures are a must.
OP mc2006 24 Mar 2014
In reply to redsonja:

Thanks that sounds exactly like what we want.

OP mc2006 26 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Do you think we would need a guide? We have a few years of scrambling and winter experience in the UK.
 JohnnyW 26 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:

I'm planning a few days out there in July too, as I need to drive my wife to her mother's whilst en route (albeit circuitously) to the Alps. Looking at doing a couple of peaks, including Pic d' Aneto. Interested in what gets posted here.....
 Rich D 26 Mar 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

have a look at some of the rubbish photos in my profile. They're from a few years ago in the French side in late July. Very little snow cover until you got up high, and then just patches and on what was left of the glaciers. You'll see that in the valleys it was warm enough for just shorts.
I wouldn't not go if there isn't any snow, it's a stunning area and the walking, sports climbing and bouldering, as well as just being in such a lovely area made it worthwhile.

Rich
 drolex 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Rich D:

What you describe is pretty much the norm I think, and the Spanish side is normally warmer even. Exceptionally, last year there was a lot of snow left above 2000m at the end of June/beginning of July.

> I wouldn't not go if there isn't any snow

Wut?

Re: guide, it depends of your confidence... There are plenty good guidebooks for the main routes. Just be careful with the changes in weather and start early - storms can really appear quickly in the afternoon and you don't want to be up when they arrive.
 Rich D 26 Mar 2014
In reply to drolex:

I meant I would definitely go even if snow is limited, the OP seemed to be questioning if they should go if there was no snow.
 drolex 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Rich D:

Sorry that probably made sense, but I can't go through a double negative, let alone a triple one, without having a my brain to freeze
OP mc2006 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Rich D:

We would def prefer snow but pretty pointless if its going to be not in very good condition.

Thanks for the help guys and girls
RockShock 27 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:

I don't quite get the point. In the Pyrenees you will never have snow in July on the approaches, but yes you will encounter patches of snow in shadowed areas above 2500m or on the glaciers. What I am trying to say is that it _is_the_point_ of Pyrenees in this time of season that you still need to have the crampons and ice pick in the backpack, although you'll have to use it only for very short time.

If you're looking for continous snow cover, then July is too late. However, if you don't have much experience, then July is a good month as it allows you to do a lot (early starts are a must!) with relatively good weather and some easy glaciers thrown in as a bonus.

Cheers
RS
 John Ww 27 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Is it just me who's struggling to make any sense of this thread?

I still haven't worked out if the OP wants

a) lots of snow, or

b) no snow.

I've never not seen so many double negatives in one thread!

JW
 drolex 27 Mar 2014
In reply to John Ww:

> Is it just me who's struggling to make any sense of this thread?

Yes, it isn't. Neither I cannot perfectly not misunderstand that.

Anyway, RockShock's answer is so true that in comparison Truth itself looks like a lie.
OP mc2006 27 Mar 2014
In reply to John Ww:

A) lots of snow.

I was asking about pyrenees as we want Snow but thought the It may be a cheaper alternative to the Alps this year and good for a beginner.
redsonja 27 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:

last year we did pic aneto late july. I cant comment on other routes as this was the only one we did. but there was plenty snow higher up and an exciting very exposed rocky ridge to the summit. after aneto, we got some cheap flights to Milan and went and did gran paradise, for which aneto had been great for acclimatizing and experience. hope this helps
OP mc2006 27 Mar 2014
In reply to redsonja:

Cheers Sonja that's very helpful. Did you go with more experienced people?
redsonja 27 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:

no, just myself and my boyfriend. we had experience of Scottish winters and had practiced moving together. the BMC dvd alpine essentials is very good. we thought aneto was really good.
OP mc2006 27 Mar 2014
In reply to redsonja:

Yes I have watched the alpine essentials dvd it was very useful.
Thank again
redsonja 27 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:

no probs. hope you enjoy it if you go
OP mc2006 27 Mar 2014
In reply to redsonja:

Do you know what map it is for the area around Aneto?
redsonja 27 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:

my map is E-25 aneto maladeta. I got it from stanfords maps via mail order

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...