UKC

Freakishly narrow heels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fingal10 26 Mar 2014
Hi all, my topic title says it all. I am having great difficulty finding 4 season boots that don't rip my heels to shreds. Any advice?
 GForce1 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Fingal10:
I've had some luck with Altberg Mallerstangs in a medium fitting (B1). I have narrow heels and a wideish forefoot. I found that on trying the boot it slipped a little, but after a couple of wears they formed to my heels and gripped. 800km and no blisters!

It is difficult; from experience it is impossible to tell if the heel will fit until after the boot has been worn a couple of times on the hill. An potentially expensive and painful process!

I also had some success with a pair of Mamut b0 boots (Mountain guide gtx?), but they required the heel to be 'adjusted' by heat. I am informed you cannot do this to a b1 boot or stiffer.

If anyone has any other suggested boots (leather b0, b1, b2) I would be interested too!
Post edited at 20:24
 Duncan Beard 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Fingal10:

Try La Sportiva. I have size 10 feet, very wide in forefoot (3E) with long toes, low volume and a small heel. Most boots crush my toes together while being sloppy at the heel. I bought some Trango Guides (super light summer mountaineering boot) in size 46 (11.5!) and they fit perfectly with one pair of thin socks. They are snug on the heel & down the side of my feet with plenty of room for the toes. Amazing.
 David Bennett 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Fingal10:

My only advice is to keep trying reputable outlets with qualified fitters until you get the right fit.
Fingal10 29 Mar 2014
Thanks all for replying. I have bought a pair of Mammut Monolith GTX and so far on a couple of dog walks they feel miles better. The real test will be in the next couple of days in Torridon. Here's hoping.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...