/ Best gear/outdoor shop in Manchester area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Stash - on 28 Mar 2014
Just after some advice, from any one who lives in and around Manchester which are the best outdoor/gear shops to visit? Got a few days in Manchester and fancy looking at some shiny kit?
SidharthaDongre - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Stash:

In the city centre there's Ellis Brigham, (also a dedicated ME store across the road), or Cotswolds.

There's also Alpenstock in Stockport or going even further afield, Outside in Hathersage.
Stash - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to SidharthaDongre:

Cool will check them out. Im looking at Manchester itself.

I know about Outside in Hathersgae regulary visit when in the peak.

In reply to Stash:

Coolio.

Most of the shops in Manchester are on Deansgate, so you shouldn't have any trouble navigating them.
imkevinmc - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Stash:

There's a Cotswold Rock Bottom branch on Oxford Road, opposite the old BBC building (no longer there). Worth popping in if you're in Manchester, but not worth a special trip.
Stash - on 28 Mar 2014
So who has the best selection of kit and dare i say it better service if I require it? I know quite a bit about this and that but its nice to chat etc
Mike Stretford - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Stash: This might be a little controversial but I'd say Go Outdoors.

Stash - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Im not bothered too much as long as they have a good selection of stock and the staff are friendly and knowledgable. prices are usually good too!
drolex - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Stash:

I find Cotswold people give the best advice (especially for shoes), but Ellis Brigham have more stuff.
Chris Huntington - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Stash:

I was in Ellis Brigham a couple of months ago. They have a lot of gear there, plus a small ice climbing wall and an altitude test centre.

They also have all of the new black diamond technical clothing- very shiny, costs a bomb.
Stash - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Chris Huntington:

Black Diamond clothing that has me interested!
galpinos - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Stash:
> (In reply to Chris Huntington)
>
> Black Diamond clothing that has me interested!

At least you'll get to look at it, realise it's all style over substance and save a few pennies.

None of the Manchester shops are great (like an Outside/joe browns/V12) but none are dire.
Stash - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to galpinos:

heard its nice so will have a look myself.

Who has the best selection of footwear, Im ater some approach shoes and maybe a pair of B1 ish boots for allround walking/scrambling/mountain days out all over the uk
snapperdan - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Stash:

The shop at Awesome Walls in Stockport is the cheapest and best. V12 I think.
In reply to Stash:

Cotswold on Deanshanger by far. Helpful and knowledgeable, at least in the boot-fitting context.
Chris Huntington - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to galpinos:

Agreed.

Can't possibly believe the Black diamond clothing justifies the proce tag.

It would have to actualy climb the route for you.
In reply to SidharthaDongre:

> Cotswold on Deanshanger by far. Helpful and knowledgeable, at least in the boot-fitting context.

No idea what Deanshanger is. Deansgate!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.