UKC

Easiest climbing in the Peak District?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RyanPrior 29 Mar 2014
I will be going on holiday to the Peak District this summer, and hopefully will look at a day or twos climbing while I am there. I have some experience in the north York moors (sandstone only), but none with granite or limestone. I would be introducing my cousin and brother to climbing, meaning only top roping or maybe bouldering would be going on. Does anybody know of a crag with an array of easy routes?

Thanks!
 Yanis Nayu 29 Mar 2014
In reply to RyanPrior:

Windgather on grit, Harborough on nice, pocketed limestone. Both close to the road.
RyanPrior 29 Mar 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

Checking them out now, very much appreciated
 Otis 29 Mar 2014
In reply to RyanPrior:
Another vote for windgather. Loads of easy routes and a lovely spot. The lack of any difficult routes means the place is fairly relaxed and there's a good atmosphere, so perfect for beginners. The only downside is that belays and top ropes can be tricky to set up as anchors can be a bit thin on the ground in some areas.

Hope you have a good session!

Mike.
Post edited at 14:38
 the sheep 29 Mar 2014
In reply to RyanPrior:

Baslow has a good selection of easy short routes and is usually quiet.
 Duncan Bourne 29 Mar 2014
In reply to RyanPrior:

Also Rob's Rocks, chew valley.
Burbage North
Most of the gritstone edges have a good selection of easy routes but places to avoid taking beginners are:
Stoney Middleton - polished and nothing below VS
Curbar - Even the easy routes are hard
Burbage South
Black Rocks at Cromford
 Duncan Bourne 29 Mar 2014
In reply to the sheep:

second that
In reply to the sheep:

> Baslow has a good selection of easy short routes and is usually quiet.

Agreed. Baslow is very freindly with lots of pleasant easy angled rock and short routes. Birchen is also very good for beginners but tends to be a lot busier than Baslow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...