UKC

Two-way radios

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
After battling with communication on longer climbs in the mountains, I've decided to invest in some small radios to aid belay communication. Is there any particular make/model you'd recommend?

Not after anything too expensive but would ideally like ones with rechargeable batteries but not a deal breaker.

Thanks
 CMcBain 30 Mar 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

The 'cobra' ones are good (I got mine from amazon for 20 quid awhile ago). Have used them fairly extensively in winter and found they stand up to abuse quite well and maintain a good signal on long, winding pitches. They have rechargeable batteries as well, the longest i've used them is for 2 days with no charge and they were fine although there is no way of telling how much they have left (no battery on the display).
 Firestarter 30 Mar 2014

I recently bought Binatone Terrain 750 from Argos. Two rechargeable handsets that can also take AA batteries if needed. They have VOX capability that the sensitivity can be altered, so if it's windy you can knock it down. £49.99. Very useful so far.
 CMcBain 30 Mar 2014

My one's don't have the model number written on them but they look closer to these ones;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cobra-MT600-Walkie-Talkie-Radio/dp/B000SA93L4/ref=p...

They appear to have risen in price quite significantly though! I bought them thinking I'd wreck them within a few trips but they have turned out to be fairly sturdy (I don't bother with a case or anything, just shove them in my hardshell chest pocket). My only gripe is the 'lock' button only locks the channel changers not the volume, thus you can accidentally knock the volume down to one in your pocket.

They were worth it for 20-30 but I reckon for 50 you could get something a little better. Maybe check out the motorola ones? I've only ever used the aforementioned cobra ones but have heard of others liking motorola radios.

If buying something more expensive it may be worth fashioning some sort of lanyard so you don't drop 40 quid of radio down a crag!
Hi mate.

A friend of mine had a pair of the Motorola T5s. They were really durable and worked quite well. With numerous frequencys. Had a good 'bleep' function that was useful instead of "on belay' if it was windy. You can pick a pair up for £15 now as theyre a little old.
In reply to Firestarter:

I've just been looking at those on Amazon. They look fine. do they have something to attach a lanyard to?

> I recently bought Binatone Terrain 750 from Argos. Two rechargeable handsets that can also take AA batteries if needed. They have VOX capability that the sensitivity can be altered, so if it's windy you can knock it down. £49.99. Very useful so far.

In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Thanks Glenn, I'll have a look around.
 Firestarter 30 Mar 2014

They come with belt clips - I'm sure you could do something with cord around it. They also have an earpiece/headset socket - I guess you could have it on your harness or in a pocket with the earpiece in? I have to say I have found them very useful - especially the VOX bit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...