UKC

Price of half ropes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dti 02 Apr 2014
So, its been a while since I last bought some half ropes and I have needed to retire my old pair.

Does around £200 pounds for a pair of 50m half ropes sound right to everyone? It seems a bit expensive, but then it was about 5 or 6 years ago when I bought my last set.

Also, if anybody knows of any good sales going on - I'd be grateful if you could let me know!

Thanks in advance!
 Sy Finch 02 Apr 2014
In reply to dti:

£200-£240 is around the price you should expect. I got a pair of 60m superdry ropes a few years on a deal for £200.
I found this deal:
http://www.dicksclimbing.com/collections/rope/products/tendon-ambition-8-5m...

£180,dry coated, although they are 60m if that matters.

Sy.
OP dti 02 Apr 2014
Great find - thanks. Especially as its an online retailer I'd not heard of!
 Jayhigh 02 Apr 2014
In reply to dti:

FWIW, he (Dick of Dick's Climbing) has a great little real shop in Bristol if you are down that way.
 Choss 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Jayhigh:

> FWIW, he (Dick of Dick's Climbing) has a great little real shop in Bristol if you are down that way.

I would highly Recommend a visit, stocks just about everything, great bloke, a real gent, generous with the discounts, all the local Climbing Knowledge. Top shop.
 Otis 02 Apr 2014
In reply to dti:

I bought myself a set of halves this week. I was pretty pleased to find 50m mammut genesis ropes for £200 (including postage) from urban rock. I got the ropes I wanted at £25 to £40 cheaper than all the other online shops and they arrived within 2 days

Mike.
 Andypeak 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Otis:

another vote for dicks. Also can get pretty good deal on tendon half ropes at the moment from a few places (not just go outdoors)

I got a set of beal cobra about a year and half ago from urban rock for about £150 i think
OP dti 02 Apr 2014
Thanks everyone - I refuse to shop at go outdoors on the principle that climbers tend to work in the smaller shops
 Andypeak 03 Apr 2014
In reply to dti:

cant blaim you there. If you shop around you can usually find better deals than go anyway
In reply to dti:

I used to work in go outdoors...... it was awful :-/ the only good point was the staff discount!
Lessworkmoreclimbing 04 Apr 2014
In reply to dti:

I've never bought a pair of ropes - when I started climbing it was customary to own one rope in the knowledge that whoever you climbed with also had one. So what happens now? Sounds like for every route climbed there could potentially be a pair of ropes left at home /in the car - great for gear shops (and thieves?), bad for climbers pockets or maybe it's just a wealthy persons pastime these days? No criticism intended I'm just intrigued as to the need to own two ropes.
 aalper 04 Apr 2014
In reply to dti:

I have the Tendon ambition ropes and I am not very happy with them. They tend to coil and twist a lot.
 Peakphil 04 Apr 2014
In reply to dti:

I've just bought a new pair of these for what seemed like a good price; £187 for Edeldrid Kestrels Dry.

https://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk/product/684_edelrid-kestrel-2013-pa...
 gethin_allen 04 Apr 2014
In reply to dti:

I worked in Go outdoors Sheffield along with 4-5 other climbers, would you now shop there?
OP dti 05 Apr 2014
Ok, I was being slightly tongue in cheek about the go outdoors stuff - Howerver, I would always rather support a shop that was independently owned. It's the lefty/guardian reading/tofu eating part of me.

The reason I own both - gives me more options with partners (especially as most Of my friends seem to boulder or sport nowadays). My main climbing partner is also the missus, so it helps when we own both

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...