UKC

Dalbello Virus Lite boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 02 Apr 2014
I'm considering getting a pair of these boots; on sale in local shop and they fit me pretty well off the bat plus they have intuition liners so I can mold them further to my feet.

I'm a virgin at buying AT boots, and my AT guru friend doesn't know anyone who has skied this model. Online reviews seem pretty positive, they feel lovely and light as well. But does the great hive mind of UKC have any thoughts on them? I note Ellis Brighams sells them so possibly some of the Scottish crew are skiing them? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Yes, I know they are very funky colours and Glen Plake and his mohawk designed them and for me both of these seem like plus point for them.

Cheers all.
 alasdair19 02 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

a friend skiied dalbellos don't know which model he was really impressed.

If there shit/break can you return them? remember to buy small.

check out backcountry uk on FB...
 deeview 03 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Hi toby,

I ski on these boots.

I saw them in an outdoor shop in aberdeen for sale and, like you probably, was attracted by the price. I bought them and am VERY pleased with them. Have skiied hard piste, 2 weeks AT in french Alps, Couple of weeks in Austria and Bavaria and all over scotland. The motion in walk mode is incredible and are not too heavy in comparison to other boots I have used. Boots are very individual however that is my little thought about these. hope you get on well with them!

t
 Morgan Woods 03 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I have the Sherpa 5/5 which is essentially an updated Virus. I love 'em. Have put up with some very uncomfortable pro-fitted boots over the years (Garmont Radium & Full Tilt Classic).

I really like the tongue design for the natural flex and ease of getting on/off.

As you say they are very light but very supportive. I found there is good responsiveness when driving a big ski off-piste. They also have a great range of movement and grippy soles but I haven't done any touring in them yet.....just plenty of resort walking.

Seeing as it is now the slightly older model you might expect a bit of a discount. I paid full wack but feel like i could use them for may years to come. The only thing i may want to upgrade for is if I was doing more ski-mo and climbing and wanted something alot lighter like a TLT5. Otherwise I would be happy doing pretty much everything in them.
OP TobyA 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Thanks everyone - that some great feedback. I thought they felt really light so I'm glad lots of people think they are good for going down too. Things like TLT5s must be amazingly light if they're lighter than these ones. Might go back to the shop to try them on some more and see if I can negotiate any further discount...
MooseMouse 03 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Will you do much walking in them? My pair have worn badly at the sole under the toe, the sole rubber has disintegrated and now the plastic is taking a hit, which will probably mark the end of the boot's use in fritchi bindings anyway.
I've only done minimal walking in them, less than 800m of descent(mostly snowymuddy paths) plus one or two short scrambles to summits.

I've emailed diabello to enquire about the best route for a repair, but they don't reply. I asked the shop where I bought them, but they said that they only have a one year gaurentee and diabello do not even reply to them and are crap at support even to retailers.
The shop suggested that the liners will not last much longer as they are very flimsy and my best bet would be to buy a new pair.

I'm trying to track down replacement soles, apparently a bloke in Grenoble has a supply...

The cobblers in Chamonix said they could replace the front of the sole unit, but they looked confused by the rigid binding posts built into the sole unit.

They are very upright, which is comfortable for touring, but not so good for the down hill. The fitter installed a ramp to help, but I have to put loads of effort in to drive the edges when it is very icy. I've rented some other touring boots temporarily and had no such problem with them on the same skis, so although technique is probably part of it, the boots aren't helping!

They are comfortable and feel light, they ski way better than my old denalis!

If you do get them, I'd like to hear how you get on skiing in them!
OP TobyA 03 Apr 2014
In reply to MooseMouse:

Thanks! So far most of my ski touring has involved minimal walking, generally in Norway where I go we've had snow to sea level but it's a fair point. Seeing lots of pics of Scots walking in in their trainers with boots clipped into bindings.

On skiing, I'm coming from basically 20 years of only skiing tele. I skied in my friends old AT boots the other weekend and on his old skis I'm borrowing for my up coming trip, and although I'm sure my technique is rubbish, it felt pretty straight forward compared to my old T2s and 7tm bindings!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...