UKC

Snow - Loch Lomond/Loch Tay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SophieEmily 02 Apr 2014
Loch Lomond and Loch Tay areas... Anybody know if there is snow on the hills?
 steelbru 03 Apr 2014
In reply to SophieEmily:

Keep an eye on http://www.benmorewebcam.co.uk/ - Crainlarich and Ben More are pretty close by, but cloud is down at the moment so can't really say.
 Jamie B 03 Apr 2014
In reply to SophieEmily:

There will be some, but rapidly depleting. Are you wondering whether to take crampons and axe? If in doubt, do.
 girlymonkey 03 Apr 2014
In reply to SophieEmily:

Very little left. I went up Ben Vorlich on Monday (the Loch Earn one), and we didn't need winter kit to stick to the path. There were some snow patches to cross, but not big and could easily have done it in summer boots. We did have winter kit though as we weren't sure. I'd expect a bit more on some of the higher hills, Lawers etc. It probably depends a bit on the hill and what side you are approaching from.
donal 03 Apr 2014
In reply to SophieEmily:

Did stob binnion on sunday from loch voil side patches of snow ,cornice on final stretch to summit mybe better with ice axe if not confident no need for crampons snow soft.
OP SophieEmily 03 Apr 2014
Cheers everyone, super helpful! Not sure what I'll be up to yet but I'll take some winter kit just in case. Cheers!
 Billhook 03 Apr 2014
In reply to SophieEmily:

Very sensible Sophie 0 taking kit just incase. After all if you'd been told there was no snow now, but it snowed just before you arrived you'd be feeling a little..............?
 PPP 04 Apr 2014
In reply to SophieEmily:

In case you decided to go there, could you report the conditions out there, please? Thanks
 girlymonkey 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

well, she would just do something else then!! I figure at this time of year you often either carry full winter kit and risk being fed up of carrying more kit than you need, or you go with 'summer' kit and are prepared to turn round if you need to. Either way there can be frustrations! That's the joys of mountaineering though!
 Joak 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Either way there can be frustrations! That's the joys of mountaineering though!

Aye Spring can be a bit of a guessing game regarding what to take into the Scottish hills. This time last year I headed up into Coire a'Ghreadaidh on Skye to help a female pal bag Sgurrs Mhadaidh and Ghreadaidh. Low cloud obscured the peaks with only snowless grassy moorland visible. Once into Coire an Dorus things were very different with rock hard neve underfoot and heavy snow showers overhead. With my rope and gear gathering dust back at the hut we did a frustrating about turn below the An Dorus col and headed back down.
 Billhook 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

I'm not too sure its a hassle really. You are only going to carry one ice axe and a pair of crampons more than you need if the snow is either non existant or soft. Hardly likely to make you fed up is it?

And don't forget just because there is snow on them hills doesn't necessarily make it colder .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...