UKC

Climbing in Sri Lanka

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 helen.baldwin 03 Apr 2014
Hi all,

I'm going to Sri Lanka for 5 weeks this summer - can anyone recommend any good climbing/bouldering spots near Colombo?

Thank you!
 James Oswald 03 Apr 2014
In reply to helen.baldwin:

I looked it up last year before I left and didn't find any evidence of any. I'd learn to surf instead
 dpm23 04 Apr 2014
There 'might' be climbing of some description in the Knuckles Mountain Range but I think it is mostly trekking (also no good if based in Colombo).

I don't think climbing it is very developed there yet so you may just have to explore. We went for three weeks and, although we never planned it as a climbing holiday, I did look online but could not find much of a 'scene' there.
 The Ivanator 04 Apr 2014

Not a lot on this link, but it might open a few doors:
http://www.srilankanexpeditions.com/activity.php?id=10
I have trekked in the Knuckles range and there is certainly plenty of potential in that area.

Was in Sri Lanka recently for a month, and certainly down the west coast, climbing was non-existent. There are apparently a couple of crags inland of Colombo, on the Sri Lankan expeditions site above, and coming back from Kandy on the train, there were some massive granite buttresses rising out of the jungle. But most of these are really poor quality rock.

My boots didn't get used once, but there's so much to see and experience, that it won't be a problem for you
 seankenny 04 Apr 2014
In reply to maisie:

> there's so much to see and experience, that it won't be a problem for you

+1

I've made three or four visits to SL, never once considered it as a cragging destination for a moment. Admittedly, there are some good looking granite cliffs in the Knuckles but no idea whether the rock is any good and also you'd have a bush-whacking battle to get to the base of them. I'm scared of snakes myself but you might be made of sterner stuff In addition, the weather is either hot, or hot and wet, I love it but wouldn't expect to climb well in it.

Otoh, it's fabulously beautiful, lots of amazing things to see, the beaches are amazing, from Colombo you can now get to Galle in an hour on the new motorway, there are great beaches, Yala national park, temples, elephans, great food, etc. Plus if you get to know any Sri Lankans through work or whatever it is that takes you there, they will want to do stuff with you and will think you're totally bonkers for going climbing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...