UKC

Money No Object - What gear would you buy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nath 04 Apr 2014

Not a serious question but my son has just flicked through a well know catalogue looking at clothing, equipment, tents, sleeping bags etc. He asked the question, if you lost all of your climbing/walking equipment and had to replace it all again, money no object what would you buy?

More to the point if money was no object - would you replace your equipment with the same brands and models now you have actually used them.

Nath
Post edited at 12:47
 The Potato 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

Id buy a few more Rab vapour rise items, a nikon 12-24mm lens, B0 B1 B2 B3 Scarpa boots, and a sherpa.
Graeme G 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

Ferrari 458.......then i'd go shopping for gear

Mr Trebus 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

Jetboots so I could solo El Cap like Captain Kirk in one of the Star Trek movies. It may require some investment in R&D in the short term.
 BnB 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> Ferrari 458.......then i'd go shopping for gear

Take the hatchback on that shopping trip. You'll be terrified of parking anywhere and will break down expensively on the way home. Alternatively, you'll have heard that "these things are very mileage sensitive on resale" and will therefore transport it around on a flatbed to save depreciation. Trust me on this, 90% of the time the hatchback is a better car.

Conor1 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

I've got a predominantly Black Diamond rack. If I was to replace it, I'd definitely get DMM nuts, but stick with the camalots. Clothing wise, I'd stick with Rab's Vapourrise and Generator, but probably swap my baselayers and Latok for Patagonia stuff - it all seems awesome and I'm a fan of their sustainability credentials.
 Gazlynn 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

New Smartwool socks for every winter outing

cheers

Gaz
Graeme G 04 Apr 2014
In reply to BnB:

Are you speaking from experience
 Choss 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

I would pay la sportiva to Remake me a few pairs of the old original Tao shoes. And get Someone to make me a load of Proper nuts on cord, instead of all this modern Wire and quickdraw crapola.

Oh, and by some Land for my home for helpless donks :-D
 planetmarshall 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

> if you lost all of your climbing/walking equipment and had to replace it all again, money no object what would you buy?

Start my own company and build bespoke climbing gear for people for whom money is no object.

SethChili 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

Full mountain equipment or Haglofs clothing . Brand new merino socks and baselayers every day . Custom fitted scarpa boots .
Maybe a lynx wildcat helicopter to drop me at the start of walks - no more public transport for me .
And a lifetimes supply of cliff bars ...
 mrchewy 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

Brand new merino socks everyday for me too - Smartwool preferably.
 BnB 04 Apr 2014
In reply to planetmarshall:
> Start my own company and build bespoke climbing gear for people for whom money is no object.

Got to say I've considered that one more than once. Sadly that would be a short-lived enterprise... not a substantial customer base, I fear.
Post edited at 16:46
 BnB 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> Are you speaking from experience

You'll need to ask my climbing partners for an answer to that one
 tlm 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

> More to the point if money was no object - would you replace your equipment with the same brands and models now you have actually used them.

I don't think they make most of my stuff any more...
 Bloodfire 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

I'd have to start my dead bird fetish all over again
 aalper 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Conor1:

> I've got a predominantly Black Diamond rack. If I was to replace it, I'd definitely get DMM nuts, but stick with the camalots. Clothing wise, I'd stick with Rab's Vapourrise and Generator, but probably swap my baselayers and Latok for Patagonia stuff - it all seems awesome and I'm a fan of their sustainability credentials.

I would swap Patagonia stuff with Rab or Mountain Equipment. Had two Patagonia jackets and both were disappointing. The last one is the torrentshell stretch. they say it's helmet compatible but actually only when your head is not in the helmet.

Other stuff, I would keep my Black diamond camalots, and i'm happy with wild country rocks and hexs. I would keep my grivel crampons but change my grivel axes to petzl.
 Hannes 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

I'd probably rebuy most of my hardware with the exception of my slings which would be replace with the thinner dyneema. I think I would
get camalots instead of dragons next time if money wasn't an issue. I can't fault my nomics but I have yet to try the G20s

As for clothing and gear in general, I'm very happy with my new scarpa boots, my klattermusen rucksack doesn't fit very well any longer and I'm slightly disappointed in my rab alpine 600 which doesn't seem to have enough insulation along the side without the zip. This one was free though so I can't really complain, shame it is only brilliant sleeping on your back. My clothing would probably be different with the exception of a few odd bits. My camera gear would most likely be completely different but that is mostly because it is all a bit geriatric by modern DSLR standards.

I'd be happy buying most of my gear as it stands but I think that is mostly because I have been buying high end gear the whole time with the intention of buying only once. That and the substantial discounts I've had on almost all my gear helps bring it down to reasonable cost and makes the difference between high end stuff and the bottom end much closer in terms of absolute money.
Removed User 05 Apr 2014
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to Nath)
>
> [...]
>
> I don't think they make most of my stuff any more...

Lol, as the youth say. Thought the same as soon as I saw this thread. You can't even be the same age as me, so that says a lot.
andymac 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

A helicopter. And a pair of Oakleys.

What better way to see the hills.
 yeti 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

I'd buy Wildcountry and be their top bumbly gear tester (obviously a post way below the real sponsored climbers)

and start the helicopter lessons, and buy a lambourghini and a simbourghini...

Cameron94 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

Replace my hardshells with three sets of new; 1 set of outrageously bright haglofs, 1 set of mountain equipment gnarly winter shells and 1 set of the new paramo kit.

I'd buy another pair of phantoms so I have 3 which can be swapped around depending on how wet they are.

Keep all my winter kit but I would add newer cams to my summer rack.

All the old stuff would be donated to a charity that helps get kids from cities out climbing.
 peebles boy 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

Another Rab Latok jacket (old one is knackered now, but unfortunately don't have access to the trade deal I did when I bought it!)
Haglofs Roc Ice - full on winter jacket, looks amazing but at the price it is, I will never own one.
Get Scarpa to custom make me several pairs of boots based around the old Phantom Guide.
Spanking new Quarks.
All in one top dollar merino thermal suit with hood.
Top end gloves of various types, just to see if spending over £100 on a pair of gloves is worth it, or whether they're just as fallible as a £40 pair.
Replace the entire rack with new fangled lightweight stuff, should bump up the climbing grade a notch.
GPS, Altimeter, nav package for the laptop - have never been able to afford/justify, so never used, but would like to see what they're all about.
New super skinny dry treated ropes, fed up humping around the old fat heavy ones.
A trained donkey to carry the kit.

Not exactly an answer to the question, but I've always dreamt of winning a 2-minute supermarket sweep type competition in one of the big outdoor stores.
 Blue Straggler 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Mr Trebus:

> Jetboots so I could solo El Cap like Captain Kirk in one of the Star Trek movies. It may require some investment in R&D in the short term.

Kirk didn't use jetboots for that.
 Mark Stevenson 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:
> would you replace your equipment with the same brands and models now you have actually used them.

I've already replaced every single possible bit of gear numerous times during my mountaineering career so I am at the stage where the vast majority of my gear is near 'perfect' for my needs with only very minor exceptions.

My rock rack is almost perfect as is: Mainly DMM hardware; Petzl GriGri/Ferino & Reverso4; Wild Country Zeros, Superlights, Friends 5&6 and some Helium krabs; Mammut Contact slings throughout.

I'd stick with my Petzl Meteor Helmet and I can't find a harness I really really like regardless of money so that wouldn't change. I've long given up on super technical rockshoes so they aren't an issue.

I already own a nearly complete set of UK guidebooks so I wouldn't even be able to spend money on them.

For Winter I am on the latest Quarks, G20 & Airtech crampons, Scarpa Jorasses Pro boots and even 14 of the latest BD Express ice screws so wouldn't want or need to upgrade. I also already have a great snow shovel, carbon avalanche probe and transeiver. Although I wouldn't say no to a pair of the new 2014 Leki Tour Stick Vario Carbon trekking poles.

I already own multiple ropes; singles, halves and semi-statics. A 40m x 8.7mm single plus a pair of 60m twins would be cool but certainly not something I'd be running out to buy.

I'm very happy with my POD Alpine 50 sac. My new TNF Tadpole 2DS (3 Season) and older Terra Nova UltraQuasar (4 Season) tents are great. My RAB Quantum 400 is still going strong but I do want Terra Nova Moonlight bagcover/bivvy and an upgrade to a Thermarest NeoAir XTherm regular would be good.

However, with plenty of money I could easily fork out extravagantly in two areas:

Gloves (as with peebles boy) - I'd happily spend £500+ on 6 pairs of Black Diamond gloves.

Waterproofs (in common with Bloodfire) - I'd go on an Arc'teryx spending spree. First off, I'd be special ordering Alpha SV pants in XSmall, tall as they aren't normally stocked in the UK plus I'd consider a couple of their hardshell and softshell jackets.
In reply to peebles boy:
> Spanking new Quarks.
Good choice.
Have used all sorts over the years (inc. original Quarks, original Ergos, XMonsters) but very happy with mine bought this Winter. I was debating between Quarks and Nomics but I am happy I made the right decision as I feared I might be at a disadvantage on more technical routes. However, after a day at the Loch Carron DT venue in February I can say conclusively that I did not find myself in any way at a disadvantage to many others using Nomics on routes at D6/D7 which means I am fairly confident the quarks will be good enough for Scottish tech 8 which is well above my currently aspirations.

> Top end gloves of various types, just to see if spending over £100 on a pair of gloves is worth it, or whether they're just as fallible as a £40 pair.
Ditto. I badly need more good gloves but keep baulking at the price!

> Replace the entire rack with new fangled lightweight stuff, should bump up the climbing grade a notch.
Unfortunately, it probably won't...
In reply to Hannes:
> I'd probably rebuy most of my hardware with the exception of my slings which would be replace with the thinner dyneema.
Mammut Contact 8mm are the way ahead. However, I do have to confess I only bought my latest lot when Rock&Run had them on offer.

> I have yet to try the G20s
Very happy with mine. I haven't done much harder mixed where they should excel but they performed great on ice routes like Poachers. I do however have a pair of Air Techs to use on grade IIIs/IVs so I can save the wear & tear on the G20s for the harder lines.

> I'd be happy buying most of my gear as it stands but I think that is mostly because I have been buying high end gear the whole time with the intention of buying only once. That and the substantial discounts I've had on almost all my gear helps bring it down to reasonable cost and makes the difference between high end stuff and the bottom end much closer in terms of absolute money.
The same here. I always have a long-term shopping list of exactly what I want or may need to replace in the near future and then I just wait patiently until I can find it at an acceptable price.
 alimckay 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

I'd go for everything that Jottnar make.

Plus La Sportiva Batura boots

Force Ten Tents

Petzl Quarks

I think that will do for now...
 HardenClimber 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath:

Probably got enough gear!

Is retirement allowed (so I can wear it out)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...