UKC

Thailand a bad idea...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 05 Apr 2014
In July?

I know it's the rainy season, I have been sea kayaking and some climbing there in July and had no rain and do know that it's out of the main climbing season. Just wondering if any Thailand experts would recommend / or not a 3 week trip in July?

Was planning a 3 week trip to Colorado but Flights are more expensive than accommodation + flights to Thailand.

Any other destination recommendations would be appreciated.
 papashango 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Been twice in July, 1st time it didn't rain much at all, the 2nd time it rained quite a bit. If you're climbing there is still loads to do if it's raining! At some crags you can climb during torrential rain.
 1234None 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

The heat and humidity is a bigger problem than rain. Take plenty of chalk!
 Coops_13 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I was there for three weeks in September (still rainy season) and I climbed every day (my elbows didn't like it...) Most of the crags stay dry in the rain... If it's really really bad, just go to Wild Kingdom or Pra Nang Beach...
 mike123 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Ditto the above . Our lass has been twice in July / august and a few times in season . She preferred the Craic in the off season . Less people , more friendly , etc . Lots of rain but still plenty to do.
OP Sl@te Head 06 Apr 2014

Hi Thanks for all the replies, where's the best place to stay in the wet season?

Would make sense to be closer to the steep sheltered crags when it's raining and within easy reach of other crags when it's not.
 1234None 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I would advise somewhere in Tonsai...quiet that time of year. Many places shut down for the wet season though so options could be more limited at that time of year.
 papashango 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:
I stayed at a place called Pasook bungalows which is up the track on the far left hand side of the beach (looking into the bay). It's underneath Wild Kingdom which has some great steep routes which a permanently dry. £3 for a 2 man bungalow in low season, lovely people running it too.

**On Tonsai
Post edited at 20:34
 rickeden 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Go FOR IT!!! I live here and climb all year round, and yes bring tons of chalk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...