UKC

Turkey- Geyikbayiri & Olympos Info/Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RickGrundy 06 Apr 2014
Hi,

Off to Turkey for a couple of weeks. Planning to spend our time split between Geyikbayiri and Olympos. Any experiences or advice on the following would be appreciated:

-Recommendations on campsites? We'd prefer quieter as apposed to 'climbing scene' type.
- Shopping/supermarkets- any reasonably sized supermarkets/shops around for food supplies?
- Must visit climbing areas- we'll be climbing between 6a and 7a.
- Must visit other stuff...
- Any other info or advice that would be useful?

Thanks,
Rick
 Bulls Crack 06 Apr 2014
In reply to RickGrundy:

The camp-sites in Geyikbayiri valley are very much climbers' sites but seemed very chilled and civilized on passing through them. We stayed here http://antalyarockclimbing.com/guest-house-en.htm which was very nice and had a tent or two in their garden. very quiet but not really a campsite!

No big shops in Geyikbayiri - market in next town or supermarkets in Antalya

Must visit climbing areas? Geyikbayiri !
 cwarby 06 Apr 2014
In reply to RickGrundy:

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Why does no-one go here?? Good enough for James Pearson.....

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos/Sport/Just_beautiful__21146.html

Chris
 Big Steve 06 Apr 2014
In reply to cwarby:

> I'm sure you'll have a great time.

> Why does no-one go here?? Good enough for James Pearson.....

> Chris

Unless things have changed recently, its probably because there are only about a dozen routes there! IMO there are better places to climbing in Turkey than Antalya
 cwarby 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Big Steve: So volume = quality? Agreed there are only a dozen or so routes, but why follow the crowds? Am not suggesting a specific trip, but I thought climbers were into exploring and not being sheep. If you're in this area ........

youtube.com/watch?v=no_89wqrRDk&

Chris

Its not Antalya, its Dalyan.
 Big Steve 07 Apr 2014
In reply to cwarby: If you want new areas to climb in Turkey, check out the climbing section on my website, the whole site is currently getting a makeover but the info is still good:

http://www.myturkishadventure.com/rock-climbing-in-turkey.html

Check out some of the crags around Izmir or Bursa for good routes, with low volume of climbers
In reply to RickGrundy:

I stayed in Geyikbayiri last year for a week, at The Climbers Garden. Very nice place, freindly staff and good food! You wont need a car as the climbing is 10min walk away and they can organise airport transfers.

There is a market about 30min walk away but its quite a steep hill to walk back. We hitched a ride from the locals quite a few times. And from here you can get a bus to Antalya for supermarkets.

There is so much climbing in Geyikbayiri between 6a and 7a and you will always be able to find a shady crag. Some great tufas too. Grades can be soft in places which is nice for the ego.

Visit the trout farm about 20min walk down the hill from Climbers Garden. The best and freashest trout ive ever eaten. Its shown in the guide book.

Have Fun, Josh

OP RickGrundy 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Josh Hadley - Lattice Training:

Thanks all for the info. Don't think we'll be missioning over to Izmir or Bursa though.

Will definitely try out the trout farm!

Cheers, Rick
 jonnyblindsign 08 Apr 2014
In reply to RickGrundy:

Just got back from a holiday in Geyik Bayeri and Olympos funny enough. My fingers are still sore from all that sharp limestone

We stayed at the climbers garden which was a very chilled out site plus they have an excellent communal kitchen for people to use. The market in the next town down from Geyik is only there at the weekends so stock up then for the rest of the time - the produce there is excellent.

I liked the Alabalik sector for the kind of grades you are after. The Alabalik (trout) restaurant nearby was also great as said above.

In Olympos we didn't camp, we stayed at Saban Pansion so perhaps this is not what you are looking for http://www.sabanpansion.com/olympostr/index.php - I can recommend it as a good place to stay there though.
I liked the Vadi and Horguc sectors in Olympos although there is probably plenty more we didn't check.

Graham Booth 08 Apr 2014
In reply to RickGrundy:

Stay at JOSITO, not the rayasena guest house.
It's a lovely place but the owners are a bit over the top charging for every little thing.

Bulls Crack 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Graham Booth:

> Stay at JOSITO, not the rayasena guest house.

Depends what you want - Rasaynna was an excellent place but not a campsite!
 pebbles 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

owner just ticked us off for.. inappropriate biscuit eating!!!! will be funny In retrospect.
 Graham Booth 10 Apr 2014
In reply to pebbles:

They are complete nutters!!!!
 Bulls Crack 10 Apr 2014
In reply to pebbles:

> owner just ticked us off for.. inappropriate biscuit eating!!!! will be funny In retrospect.

In what way? I'm intrigued!
 pebbles 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

apparently they found some ants in the rooms and concluded we must have illucitly brought i ants.

high point this morning was the owner physically pushing past obe of our crew to drain the last of yhe hot water out of the urn so we couldnt continue to drink un charged for tea past the allotted breakfast period
 Bulls Crack 11 Apr 2014
In reply to pebbles:

yes they were very particular about what was charged for and what was not. Don't think its meanness but more a code of propriety.
 pebbles 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

you're very tolerant, which is to your credit, but honestly, they were mad as a box of frogs. The final highlight was on the last morning. most of us had already settled up early, however two of our group were in mid epic on a big multipitch and had to bivvy overnight (and we had told the landlady this, and that they would pay at checkout next day). So one of our number drove back at daybreak to pick them up. Imagine the surprise of the remaining person still asleep in their room when she was reawoken by a torchlight beam shining into her face through the door from the landlady who had heard the car start and concluded someone was doing a runner!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...