UKC

Short crank length

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FrankBooth 08 Apr 2014
I've just started reading 'The Obree Way'. One of the thinks Obree places a lot of emphasis on is getting the right crank length, based on 9.5% of body height. I'm 1.71 m (about 5'7"), so in my instance, that would equate to162mm which is obviously way shorter than the standard 170/172mm

Just wondered if anyone on here (of a similar height) has tried this out and what benefits you might have found? Secondly, anyone know where I might get cranks of this length at a reasonable price?

thanks
 Guy 08 Apr 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

Most cranks can be bought in 165mm length. I do wonder if it is worth me trying this out too. I think I am smoother on my single speed / fixed with 165mm than on my road bike with 170mm. You do lose torque with a shorter crank.
 balmybaldwin 08 Apr 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

I'm surprised he bases his ratio on height rather than leg length (some people have littel bodies and long legs, or long bodies with little legs)
OP FrankBooth 08 Apr 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> I'm surprised he bases his ratio on height rather than leg length (some people have littel bodies and long legs, or long bodies with little legs)

Yeah, I suppose the only way to be sure is to get a proper fitting
 Guy 08 Apr 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

Chris Hoy just answered my question on FB and says he uses the same crank length what ever discipline he rides. I think I might try 165mm on my next road bike.
 LastBoyScout 08 Apr 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

I got measured on Friday for a new bike.

I'm only marginally taller than you, but it came back as 172.5 cranks - however, as balmybladwin mentioned, I'm proportionately longer in the leg.
 Enty 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Guy:

> Chris Hoy just answered my question on FB and says he uses the same crank length what ever discipline he rides. I think I might try 165mm on my next road bike.

Did Hoy say what size he uses?
Gotta be 165 or less on Manchester.

E
 Guy 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

He didn't only that he uses the same on all bikes and the same measurements.
 Guy 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

He didn't only that he uses the same on all bikes and the same measurements.

He is answering questions via the SIS page.
 The Potato 08 Apr 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

if my opinion is worth anything, i also agree that a shorter crank length i.e. 165mm is suitable for me (180cm tall)
 nniff 09 Apr 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

An article in one of the magazines recently (Cyclist?) concluded that it didn't make much diiference. A longer crank provides more leverage, but if you spend a lot of time on the drops and your hips are insufficiently flexible, then a long crank means that you have a compress an unwilling joint every stroke a tiny bit more. Sit up a bit and that doesn't matter.

I'm 6ft and have 175 cranks and it suits me - the difference between 165 and 175 is naff all (the width of my little finger nail). They did experiments with really short cranks and it still made little difference.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...