UKC

Bivis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Does anybody have any experience of the AlpKit bivis?
https://www.alpkit.com/explore/bivvy-bags

I am a big believer in 'you get what you pay for.' But I cannot really justify spending £££'s on one for the potential limited use it will get...

Any ideas?
 alooker 09 Apr 2014
In reply to mh554:

yup, great for a couple of nights or so.
 The Potato 09 Apr 2014
In reply to mh554:

ive not used an alpkit bivy but have used the army type (in a nice olive green) which are very robust - these are usually on ebay for about £30.
So long as they are reasonably breathable and durable then they should be fine. Check the ground for anything hard or pointy before you lay down for the night as this could rip a bag.
 Lukeva 09 Apr 2014
In reply to mh554:

Depending on your size get an XL, I am tall and the standard Hunka is tiny!
 Nick_Scots 09 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

2nd. Ex army for me too.
 Indy 09 Apr 2014
In reply to mh554:

Those hooped Gore-Tex bivi's you can get for £250+ are in my view outragiously over priced BUT the Alpkit "bivi" is nothing more than a sack with a drawstring closure. Pays yer money takes yer choice!
 Indy 09 Apr 2014
In reply to alooker:

> yup, great for a couple of nights or so.

In a hut as a sleeping bag protector maybe but outside in the rain? No thank you!
 crayefish 09 Apr 2014
 alooker 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Indy:

Depends where you are, snow hole/cave/tree cover all works. If you're buying a bivi bag like this you're going for lightweight shelter and using natural shelter to extend it's capabilities. You could also use it with a tarp to give you 'living space' but then you're approaching the weight of lightweight tents
 tehmarks 09 Apr 2014
In reply to mh554:

I've used the Alpkit bivi extensively (the standard, not XL - I'm 5'9 and the standard is way more than adequate) - from Dartmoor below freezing, to Ailefroide in mid-summer. No problems, does exactly what it says on the tin/website.
In reply to mh554:

another vote for ex MOD bivi from e bay c. £40 new (although many are advertised as new but aren't), same simple design but goretex. Mine needs replacing after a few years but it is used for work and so has heavy use. I'm 6'4 and it's a little snug but ok, no good if it's midgy
 Peakpdr 09 Apr 2014
In reply to mh554:

Im about to use my Alpkit bivi this evening .. Will let you know how it ends in the morning
 RyanOsborne 09 Apr 2014
In reply to mh554:

I've got one you can borrow to try out if you want... Unless it's for use on Skye, in which case you can't use it because I'll be in it.

I've used mine in the Alps and it's been fine. I've got an xl one, and it's really roomy... You're still not getting in it with me though.
 Ron Walker 09 Apr 2014
In reply to mh554:
A great piece of kit that performs as well or even better than similar bags costing £100's. I use mine for snowholing, Scottish and Alpine bivis in preference to my existing ME Ion and expensive Gortex ones.

Highly recommended, I originally got one as a spare for clients on snowhole courses but when I realised it was lighter and breathed better than my more expensive bags, I started using the Hunka instead!

I'd avoid most ex-army ones as they are generally very heavy and bulky.
Post edited at 22:21
In reply to RyanOsborne:
> I've got one you can borrow to try out if you want... Unless it's for use on Skye, in which case you can't use it because I'll be in it.

> I've used mine in the Alps and it's been fine. I've got an xl one, and it's really roomy... You're still not getting in it with me though.

That is exactly what I wanted it for...
And I just ordered one, so if its no good ryan, we're arent friends
Post edited at 09:15
 Ridge 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Ron Walker:

> I'd avoid most ex-army ones as they are generally very heavy and bulky.

and probably stink of hexy and pork cassoulet.
 alooker 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Indy:

sleeping bag in a hut? Just take a blanket or a liner...
In reply to alooker:

> sleeping bag in a hut? Just take a blanket or a liner...

For a given value of 'hut'...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...