UKC

north face of eiger youngest british team?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Willismorris 13 Apr 2014
Anyone know who and what age the youngest british team to climb the north face of the the eiger are? If not, anyone know where I might find out??

Cheers

mark mcgowan01 13 Apr 2014
In reply to boseow25:
climbed it when i was 23 but i was a bit immature!
Post edited at 20:43
OP Willismorris 13 Apr 2014
In reply to mark mcgowan01:

Cheers for the reply. More looking for the definite record of the youngest british team but cheers anyway
In reply to boseow25:
your welcome. we were a team and we definitely did it...
Post edited at 20:58
 Mr Lopez 13 Apr 2014
In reply to boseow25:

Dude, don't take this the wrong way, but this is the 4th time now... That sort of b-rate "feats" are the realm of the news-grabbing honeypots, so i doubt anyone who climbs this route bothers to report, record, attempt or even consider stuff like "youngest British, from Hull, whose first name starts with R, to climb the Eiger, while wearing a red bandana".

You want a half page photo in the back pages of the Daily Mail or a career as a motivational speaker go do Everest or Kilimanjaro. You want to climb the N face of the Eiger just go and do it, have fun, and stop bothering about inconsequential filler.

alasdair19 13 Apr 2014
In reply to boseow25:

Tony stone did it are 20 I think don't know who he was with....
In reply to mark mcgowan01:

Fair point, what was the combined age of you guys when you did it!? What year was this? Also is there anywhere that people record ascents like this?
In reply to boseow25:

It was complicated. I started up the mountain with one climber and changed partners on the traverse of the gods due to rescue stuff. it was 1992.
 blackcat 13 Apr 2014
In reply to boseow25: I think your best bet would be to get in touch with an eiger historian.I think theres a signing book in one of the shiedegg hotels where people record there ascents though i may be wrong.

In reply to Mr Lopez:
It's a question I've not found the answer too yet, I'm intrigued that's all, is there a problem with that? Not really much more to it to be honest, thought the point in forums was to get questions answered from people more knowledgable than yourself!?
Post edited at 21:32
 Bob 13 Apr 2014
In reply to blackcat:

I do believe there is, though we didn't sign it, so I don't know how accurate it will be. I was an oldie at 26 BTW.
 pass and peak 13 Apr 2014
In reply to boseow25:

More important! any know the oldest team, I figure by the time I'm 60 I'll have enough experience!!!!
 jon 13 Apr 2014
In reply to pass and peak:

By the time you get to 60 you'll have more sense!
 JUSTADUDE 13 Apr 2014
In reply to boseow25:

Callum Muskett new ambassador for the BMC climbed it with Dave MacLeod not long ago and he's only 20 now. Thats as much as I know.
 wilkie14c 13 Apr 2014
In reply to boseow25:

The white spider was in the school libary when I was 13 or so and it inspried me to climb it millions of times in my head. solo too.

*oldest - fiennes was 65 ish when he climbed it but it was a team of 3, I guess collective ages divided by 3 to get the team ave age knocks the impresivness down somewhat
 alasdair19 14 Apr 2014
In reply to JUSTADUDE:

They climbed a technical rock route on the r not the classic 38 which the op is presumably bothered about. I climbed once with a german lad that soloed it before leaving school.
 Dave Searle 14 Apr 2014
In reply to boseow25:
Me and Ally had a combined age of 45 ...I think.
Post edited at 07:01
 Simon4 14 Apr 2014
In reply to jon:

> By the time you get to 60 you'll have more sense!

Wouldn't be too sure of that Jon - as men get older, they just achieve a higher level of childishness.

In reply to Dave Searle:

Mental age or physical
 iceox 14 Apr 2014
In reply to boseow25:

The late Calum Henderson,19 with Lee Clegg,17.With Jerry Gore,28 in 1988.
 Turfty 14 Apr 2014
In reply to boseow25:

There was an ascent by a couple of Scottish climbers in the winter of 1985 (I think it was), combined age about 45. Primarily powered by raw potatoes as I remember.
 iceox 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Turfty:

It Was 85 and an uncooked haggis was part of the plot.
Doug Hawhthorn and Robin Clothier.
Lots of bivvies and no gas.
 Turfty 14 Apr 2014
In reply to iceox:

So that would be the first British winter ascent accompanied by a haggis. I wonder what age the haggis was?
 Dave Searle 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Fultonius:

mental age. 24.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...