/ Driving a van to the alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
gali - on 14 Apr 2014
I want to drive my van to the alps this summer , it's a peugeot expert with one side window retro fitted. Does anyone know what I will need to do to avoid excessive ferry costs, Seats , more windows??
alexcollins123 - on 14 Apr 2014
In reply to gali:

ive taken a peugeot expert 9 seater (same as teh LWB verson of yours) as a car/car derived van.

They get a bit arsey about volume of goods on the phone when booking, but I've never had a problem over the last couple of trips.
alooker - on 14 Apr 2014
In reply to gali:

my berlingo was fine going through as a car, I know the expert is a bit larger but give them a call. I think it's more about height/which deck you can put it on rather than if it's a commercial vehicle (windows etc).
gali - on 14 Apr 2014
In reply to alexcollins123:

It's the L2 H2 version of the expert if anyone has experience of this. thanks for info , I'll give them a call.
Jack_Lewin - on 14 Apr 2014
In reply to gali:

I drove my Citroen relay swb down and it wasn't any more for the ferry than normal. No modifications to it though.
Bruce Hooker - on 14 Apr 2014
In reply to gali:

I've got the L2H1 version, but it's the Tepee model with window all round. I often cross, a dozen times a year, using the tunnel often loaded up with junk, furniture, logs etc and with the back seats removed and always go through as a standard car. I haven't had any questions asked yet, I book as "car with roof rack" as it's too high to go in the double level trains. I know some ferry companies charge extra for length so it's worth checking carefully.
Rick Graham on 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

I booked my Astra van in as an Astra estate.
I booked over the phone to be sure and told them what I had done, no probs they just want the business. Also told them it was a private journey/ holiday, no goods in transit.
alexcollins123 - on 15 Apr 2014

we went through one year on the double height ones and when the passengers had got out and suspension raised back up, it got stuck!
gali - on 15 Apr 2014

You go to france for your logs ! fair play
DFDS seaways says it needs cooking and/or sleeping facilities - sleeping bag jetboil !!
Jenny C on 15 Apr 2014
In reply to gali:

Like others we had no issues with taking our van over in the tunnel last summer as a domestic vehicle. Vito van with no side windows back seats or conversion to camper. As others said had to be loaded into a double height section but the price was (I think) the same as if we had taken a car over.
Bruce Hooker - on 16 Apr 2014
In reply to gali:

> You go to france for your logs !

No, I bring English logs to France :-)

I haven't got a wood burning fire in Britain but I have go a load of logs and trees to cut. Half a ton of logs doesn't seem to increase fuel consumption much and avoids them being wasted.
peebles boy - on 16 Apr 2014
In reply to gali:

Always thought it's based solely on height and length? Been several times in a transit, always just booked on as a private vehicle.

Went by Chunnel once, filled in the form accurately and it said my SWB Low Roof Transit was car dimensions so booked a car ticket. Argued for a while at check in, got them to measure it, and it came in (as I knew it would!) under the car length and height sizes. Result!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.