UKC

BD z-poles: Compactor or Ultra Mountain FL?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 16 Apr 2014
As part of my spring re-vamp of my skiing and hillwalking gear, I'm considering a set of z-poles, mainly because of the reduced carry size when not in use compared to my current (and rather long in the tooth) BD Expedition poles.

I'm currently inclined towards the Compactor poles since they're available rather cheaper than the other option I've looked at, the Ultra Mountain FL. I realise that the Compactors are a little heavier but (a) it's only a few grammes, and (b) that might make them a bit more robust for skiing use (touring/mountaineering, not downhill). As far as I can see, the smaller trekking baskets the come with the Ultra Mountain can be sourced separately and fitted to the Compactor, if I feel the need when using them for snow-free hillwalking. I've already got the BD rubber bungs that go over the metal tips, so the rubber tip option which the Ultra Mountain comes with isn't a significant attraction. To top it all off, the Compactor's range of length adjustment seems to be a better match for my needs, since it allows 10cm either side of my normal 125cm pole length. The Ultra Mountain, depending on which size I got, would really only offer me significant adjustability in one direction or the other, not both.

Can anyone suggest a compelling reason for choosing the Ultra Mountain FL rather than the Compactor?
 galpinos 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Martin W:

With the caveat that I've never understood the need for compacting poles when ski touring (if your skis are on your feet, you have the poles in your ands, if your skis are on your sack, they will be far longer than your poles so what's the worry)......

......get the Ultra Mountain FLs. The whole point of pole like that is to so they are as small and light as possible. Why not get the smallest and lightest?
 Gael Force 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Martin W:

As Galpinos says neither is suitable for Randonnee, you'll break them...if you really want a telescopic pole buy the proper ones for touring, they are nearly all 2 piece, but they don't tend to sell them in the UK.
Personally I use a normal ski pole most of the time, having broken two pairs of BD poles this season.
In reply to Martin W:
> The Ultra Mountain, depending on which size I got, would really only offer me significant adjustability in one direction or the other, not both.

Ditto for me. Someone at BD has made an idiotic design decision as the sizing on the Ultra Mountain FL has so far deterred me from buying a pair.

For that reason I am currently considering the Leki versions - Micro Vario Carbon (comparable to Ultra Mtn FL) and the Tour Stick Vario Carbon (comparable to the Compactor). See http://uk.leki.com/trekking/f-poles-special

> Can anyone suggest a compelling reason for choosing the Ultra Mountain FL rather than the Compactor?

In a word, No.
 Siward 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Martin W:

I got some ultra mountain FLs but I returned them in favour of a telescopic pole because the Z pole system is not good to stash the poles on the outside of a pack- too many pieces of metal flapping about and it really put me off.
At least a pair of telescopics neatly telescope (that's the idea, right?) into a portable package when needed. This observation is coming from a backpacking/hillwalking point of view though.
 doz 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Martin W:

Got a pair for walking in/out of winter climbs....no way would I trust them for skiing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...