UKC

Help please: French topo needed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rawstron1 17 Apr 2014
Hi there,

Can anyone help me out please? I'm desperate to find some topos for a quarry called Falaise de Maupuy near a little village called Gueret, North East of Limoges in France? I'd love to hear from anybody who might be able to help. Cheers.
 Mr Lopez 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Rawstron1:

Here's a tip. Go here https://www.google.co.uk/ and write 'falaise de maupuy topo' in the little box in the middle. Press the button that says "google search", et voila.

Several info pages linking to the topo http://lacreuse.ffcam.fr/tzr/scripts/downloader2.php?filename=T004/fichier/...

OP Rawstron1 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Rawstron1: Hi there Mr Lopez, thank you for your incredibly helpful, patronising and possibly, although I'm not certain, sarcastic reply. Unfortunately, I've already had the wherewithal to try this 'google' malarkey - however that works, and I still can't find any topos. What you suggest simply gives me a list of climbs which I already have saved. A topo is a pictorial representation with helpful overlays.

Do you have nothing better to do than troll people? Halfwit.

If anybody else can shed some light on any actual topos, I'd love to hear from you instead of getting into battles of wits with unarmed personae non grata. Cheers.

Mr Lopez 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Rawstron1:

Easy there, it was tongue in cheek and trying to be helpful, but hey take is as you want.

> A topo is a pictorial representation with helpful overlays

That's a photo-topo. Topos are traditionally a list of climbs from right to left or left to right, and that's what you got.

I could be more of a halfwit smartarse and explain you that the technique is that you read the topo at the top where it says "As you descend and facing the wall the climbs are right to left", and then each line of bolts corresponds to one route. You know like a photo-topo but being there in person, but i won't do that and leave it for you to work out.
 LeeWood 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Mr Lopez:

The reason photo-topos are preferred is that they eliminate the doubts which come interpreting a foreign language. Even the short phrases involved here can be quite daunting and ambiguous if you are not thoroughly competent to translate.

But happily you did the right thing and translated for OP
 Bulls Crack 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Mr Lopez:

I thought topo was short for topographical ie the graphic representation of physical features...or am I being a smart-arse?
OP Rawstron1 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Rawstron1:

Thanks Bulls Crack, cheers Lee Wood. Mr Lopez, it wasn't tongue in cheek- it was rude and condescending and even if it really was tongue in cheek it was neither helpful or amusing. Forums such as these are to help people. Do you really believe that someone would not have gone straight to google before posting here?

As for topos/lists, like a lot if people I would prefer the whole picture - literally the PICTURE. Have you ever been to a crag with a list in hand and got a little confused when the list doesn't seem to match the lines of climbs you're looking at? Have you ever thought that new routes or new lines of bolts might not be on that list? Give me whatever resources I can get my hands on every time.

Anyway Mr Lopez, I love you. I love you and I forgive you. Normal, real people wouldn't have half as much fun if people like you didn't exist. And because I, the wronged can find it in my heart to forgive you that means you should be free to forgive yourself too. Ego te absolvo xxx
 Mr Lopez 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> (In reply to Mr Lopez)
>
> I thought topo was short for topographical ie the graphic representation of physical features...

Yes, no, perhaps... The use of 'topo' extended to mean different things. A route's topo is usually as you say a graphic representation of the route itself, whereas a crag's topo is an identifier of where the routes are located. This can be graphic or just some text depending on the crag.

In sports crags, before photoshop and the internet, that's normally just pointing to a key feature for reference and then listing the routes from there since a handdrawn topo of an unfeatured wall with 30 routes going straight up would just look like a bar code. In many places in Europe photoshop and the internet still hasn't arrived...
Post edited at 22:14
 Bruce Hooker 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Rawstron1:

If this is the way you reply to people who try to help you then you are unlikely to have much success in getting the advice you demanded.... The cheek of some people on the internet is truly amazing.
 James FR 18 Apr 2014
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> a handdrawn topo of an unfeatured wall with 30 routes going straight up would just look like a bar code.

This. And even a modern photo-topo of some sports crags isn't much more helpful. Plus there's a fair chance that some of the route names will be painted onto the crag.
 Jerry67 18 Apr 2014
In reply to Rawstron1:

http://grimpeur-forever.over-blog.com/article-6456030.html

Don't know if this will help, but at least you can visualise things a bit.
Jerry
 johnwright 18 Apr 2014
In reply to Rawstron1:

> Hi there,

> Can anyone help me out please? I'm desperate to find some topos for a quarry called Falaise de Maupuy near a little village called Gueret, North East of Limoges in France? I'd love to hear from anybody who might be able to help. Cheers.

If you do a crag search on here you will find all the info that is available and you will find that I am the moderator for this crag, there are other crags in the area but 1 usually has Peregrines nesting so climbing is prohibited. Gueret is not a small village but the main town in the Creuse department.
 Morgan Woods 19 Apr 2014
In reply to Jerry67:

That would have to be the worst looking crag in France!
OP Rawstron1 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Rawstron1:
Thanks for your help everybody. I'll pop along to have a look at it if I get chance this week. Cheers again.
OP Rawstron1 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

Hi Bruce, thanks for your reply. If it's any consolation to you I hate myself for being drawn into using base sarcasm and cynicism. If only Mr Lopez hadn't been sarcastic and rude in the first place eh?

I did find your comment useful though, despite being irrelevant to the topic. I promise I will be the bigger person from now on and won't reply to unhelpful, sarcastic comments with antagonistic unhelpful and sarcastic comments.

Regards

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...