UKC

Sport climbing in October

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Motown 21 Apr 2014
Looking for a sport climbing location for October. Here's the spec...

1) Dry and warm
2) A couple of hours from a major airport
3) Europe, Asia or North Africa
4) 4 - 7 grade range

Recommendations please...

john arran 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Motown:

You're spoilt for choice in October so a lot will depend on what kind of climbing you want to do, e.g. single or multi-pitch, limestone or granite.

It's one of the driest and most settled months of the year here in Ariège, which of course I would heartily recommend for virtually all types of sport climbing!
OP Motown 21 Apr 2014
In reply to john arran:

Non specific on rock type. Single pitch with full grade range but some low grade multi-pitch would be really good.

Would like to visit your part of the world - a good suggestion.
OP Motown 21 Apr 2014
In reply to john arran:
How's the weather at Easter? Thinking about a visit there in a year's time. Flying from Doha so the two week holiday then seems more worth the ticket price.
 Andes 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Motown:

A bit of a more unusual recommendation but it does meet all your criteria.
We were in Crimea last summer and it was great but a bit too hot, should be nice in October! Beautiful scenery and nice cheap beer... but I hear things have changed a bit recently.
Anyway if you are feeling brave check out Redstone (Krasnokamenka), Sokol mountain near Sudak and Nikita.
OP Motown 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Andes:

Like the idea of an adventurous sport climbing location. Not entirely convinced in current climate though...
 john arran 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Motown:

> How's the weather at Easter?

Well this year has been pretty typical in that we've had mostly fine weather, some hot and some unsettled. It was unusually warm (mid-20s) at the start of last week, staying very sunny but cooling to 20 or so by the weekend, yesterday was colder (13) with no sun and a little rain, today sunnier again and a mixed forecast for the next few days with 20 degrees on sunny days and 14 on showery ones. All the crags are bone dry.

This time of year I would expect sunny day temps around 19-22 and in a two week period over Easter I'd guess to expect 3-5 part-days of rain on average, although you'd be unlucky to get more than one day where you wouldn't want to go out at all (and there's limited all-weather options for that day!)

Hope that helps.
OP Motown 21 Apr 2014
In reply to john arran:

Very helpful, thank you. Watching the rain here in Spain and plotting future trips.
 Andes 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Motown:

Yeah... I'd love to go back, but this year probably isn't the time!!
Patrick Winter 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Motown:

Finale in Northern Italy would fit the bill. Good spread of grades, single and multi pitch climbs - all very accessible. Lovely scenery, weather pretty reliable and nice food.

I have been three times and have never been disappointed.
 Steve Green 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Motown:

Sella, Alicante, Spain, fits your profile. And now there are so many places to stay in the village, just a couple of km from the crags... October would be awesome. Check out www.sella-costablanca.com or www.casaroc.com
Steve G
 john arran 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Motown:

> Like the idea of an adventurous sport climbing location.

While Ariège isn't notably more adventurous than most Euro sport areas I did put up a cool 3-pitch bolted 'adventure-sport' route last winter you or others might find fun. It starts at the back of a huge deep cavern, with just enough ambient light to climb the slightly crumbly 6a pitch (a headtorch helps). The second pitch is a very solid and varied 6b+ and is much lighter as it passes a huge 'window' cave opening. The top pitch is a great 6b+ until the last bolt, after which there's a brief 7a move to reach the top anchor in a 'skylight' cave opening. 100m or so in total and completely dry during rain, although suffers from some seepage in winter if it's been raining a lot.

It's called Le Trog and it's just 15 minutes walk from Chez Arran. Let me know if you want more info as it isn't yet published anywhere.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...