UKC

Where in the world?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jenniwat001 22 Apr 2014
Looking for a climbing destination we can drive to in less than 24hrs and has more predictable weather than the UK. Last year we went to Burgundy and I'd love to go back. Must be good for the school hols, Easter, May or October as we have teachers in the group. Looking for single pitch 4 - 7 range, no bouldering (one in our group can only do roped climbs)and where accommodation of a none-camping variety will be plentiful,preferably limestone or grit and preferably sport.

Thanks in advance.
 Bulls Crack 22 Apr 2014
In reply to jenniwat001:

Go back to Burgundy?!
 john arran 22 Apr 2014
In reply to jenniwat001:

I'd normally be quick to recommend here in Ariège as it satisfies all but one of your requirements admirably ... but I'm sorry to say there's bouldering here too
OP jenniwat001 22 Apr 2014
In reply to john arran:

Haha! I'm up for some bouldering but a recommendation of font for example just won't meet our requirements. And yes, I'd love to go back to burgundy but others in the group want somewhere new...fussy buggers.
 David Bibby 25 Apr 2014
In reply to jenniwat001:

I'd second John's Ariege suggestion - stayed at his lovely apartments last year and had a great time. Beautiful scenery, food, and climbing.
 Jonny2vests 25 Apr 2014
In reply to jenniwat001:

Dijon has good sport climbing
Around Freyr in Belgium is good.
Luxembourg? (never been myself)
The Crags around Poitiers I've been to were all good.
The Massif Central near Clermont Ferrand has excellent cragging. From There you could hit the Dordogne and places like Ceau.
4 hrs more and you're in Ariege.

You need a guide to Euro crags. French Rock by Chris Craggs is dated but still good if you can find a copy. There's a Jingo Wobbly mess of a thing, a bit like decoding Enigma. There must be something else out there...

The UKC logbook is handy for planning:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/
OP jenniwat001 04 May 2014
In reply to jenniwat001:

Thanks, given me plenty to research!
 full stottie 04 May 2014
In reply to jenniwat001:

Languedoc is another option. We found a large Gite close to Avignon, climbed at Orgon, Fontvielle, Seynes (bit of a drive but worth it) and other crags in the Rockfax and older guides.

Dave
 Firestarter 04 May 2014
In reply to jenniwat001:
Go further than France! Poland (Krakow region) has some brilliant climbing. Accommodation/food really good value as well.

Forgot to add - London - Krakow about 15 hours driving.
Post edited at 22:18
 Rich2002 06 May 2014
In reply to jenniwat001:

I am surprised no one has mentioned Frankenjura yet. I am off in july and cant wait to give it a go. It will mainly be 6 and 7 grades but the place is huge so I am sure there will be some easy stuff somewhere. Only aprox 10 hrs drive from Calais. Great coffee, cake and beer to be found and good hearty German food. Might be worth you haveing a look at.
 jimtitt 06 May 2014
In reply to Rich2002:

I´d have mentioned it but the OP specifically excluded places with bouldering
 jwhepper 06 May 2014
In reply to jenniwat001:

Take a look at Buoux and the surrounding area near Mont Ventoux. Lovely weather (bit hot in mid summer) with sport climbing from 4-8, well bolted. The 'Haute Provence' rockfax guidebook is perfect for it. I think they sell it in cotswolds so could always go and take a gander!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 May 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

>

> You need a guide to Euro crags. French Rock by Chris Craggs is dated but still good if you can find a copy.

Bill Birkett!

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...