UKC

Is it possible to forecast an inversion?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 24 Apr 2014

Hi there,

Undoubtedly, a temperature inversion is rather beautiful moment to admire: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fmpxzmg6y965lic/69900030.JPG . This photo was taken from Bod an Deamhain at 9ish AM, Cairngorms. It was a clear summer day before the inversion and it was sunny (but more windy) the following day. These clouds disappeared after an hour or so - they didn't stay too long.

Wiki article about temperature inversion is not very helpful. I found few articles about forecasting inversions, but without additional data (mainly weather/pressure forecasts) it wouldn't be possible to forecast an inversion in the field. Is it possible to forecast an inversion, or low clouds at all? I am about to buy an ABC (Alti-Baro-Compass) watch in future, but I am not sure how helpful it would be.
Post edited at 14:10
 kwoods 24 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

I'm not familiar wit the science behind forecasting so couldn't do it myself, though MWIS have often forecast this and I've found they were usually pretty spot on.
 Ian Rock 24 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

A warm, slightly hazy, day followed by a clear cool night will often result in an inversion - nothing can be taken as 100% nailed on though.
 RomTheBear 24 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

What you are looking for is for a high pressure system, a clear mild day just after a cold and clear night, pretty much guaranteed you get an inversion early in the morning in the valley. Most often happens in March/April and September/October.
OP PPP 24 Apr 2014
In reply to kwoods:

Thanks! I keep an eye at MWIS, but at the time I took the photo, it was the 8th day without internet/phone/civilisation.
OP PPP 24 Apr 2014
Thanks RomTheBear and Ian Rock, that is helpful!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...