UKC

Identifying Bird Noise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
drmarten 28 Apr 2014
I was camping last night (near Lochan na H-Earba, Loch Laggan way) and set up camp just as it got dark. Immediately after dusk and just as I got into my sleeping bag I heard strange bird noises, I'm not a bird spotter and my knowledge is lacking but can't even remember hearing this noise before. It was a kind of trilly whooping sound, rising and then falling that lasted about two or three seconds. I could hear whatever was making the noise flying around my tent as the noise went from one side to the other. There were probably several birds making the noise - whatever it was it was quite nippy. Eventually it calmed down although I heard it sporadically during the night.
Any one know what bird I heard?
(My other thought about describing it was Oddjob flinging his special bowler hat through the air ....)
 jonny taylor 28 Apr 2014
In reply to drmarten:

From your thread title alone, I knew it would be: snipe.
Douglas Griffin 28 Apr 2014
 Alyson 28 Apr 2014
In reply to jonny taylor:

> From your thread title alone, I knew it would be: snipe.

Snap!

It's a fabulous sound - once heard, never forgotten.
drmarten 28 Apr 2014
In reply to All :

Yes, that sounds like it. Weird at first, I hadn't heard anything like it before. The terrain fits the bill as well.
Post edited at 20:47
 Joak 28 Apr 2014
In reply to drmarten:

The drumming of snipe, the acrobatics and unmistakable call of the Peewit along with the Curlew are what I associate most with Spring from my childhood days...oh,and the Cuckoo
 wilkesley 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Joak:

Curlew is my favourite bird call. Cuckoos seem to have disappeared around here. Have only heard one in about 5 years.
 Billhook 29 Apr 2014
In reply to drmarten:

Exactly the right time of the year too. And in case you didn't know drmarten the sound is made by two feathers which vibrate when they dive in display.
 digby 29 Apr 2014
drmarten 29 Apr 2014
In reply to digby:

It seems it's the snipe allright, this link is the most similar to the noise I heard.

youtube.com/watch?v=1jlWK-dDGlQ&

In reply to Dave Perry :

The noise did sound like it was something vibrating and not like normal birdsong, chirping or tweating.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...