UKC

South Africa sport climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 30 Apr 2014
I may be taking a trip to South Africa, possibly August or September based in Durban and would like to include some sport climbing (up to 7a). There seems to be a fair number of options including the Mount Everest Reserve in Free State.

I've looked at some on line topos but would really appreciate some coments on how the character and quality of climbing compares to out favourite Spanish and French single pitch sport climbs. I would also be interestd to know how easy it would be to hook up with locals for multi pitch and trad climbing (up to E3ish).

Thanks in advance for info and advice
Rigid Raider 30 Apr 2014
In reply to kevin stephens:

I think I did this at a place called Onder Watervall a couple of hours east of Jo'Burg. You climbed up some blocky red rock and clipped in to lots of permanent anchors on the way up. There didn't seem much challenge unless you viewed it as an exercise in controlled movement on rock.
 Si Witcher 30 Apr 2014

Hi Kevin, for single-pitch sport these are well worth visiting, once you have a climbing partner sorted:

Oudtshoorn is great - high quality tufa limestone in the euro style. From memory the grades were upper f6s and upwards.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=8407

Harrismith (Mt Everest) is good, and in a game park setting too.

Waterfallboven (Restaurant crag) is great and has lots to do. Some reports of security issues (thefts etc) in that area.

Cheers Si. Have you climbed at Mount Everest?
 Si Witcher 30 Apr 2014

Yes, about 15 years ago. We spent 1 or 2 days there in amongst a tour. I'd certainly go back, though I can't remember much detail about the number of routes available. I have the impression you could spend a week climbing there at least. The game reserve is relatively tame (from memory): more antelope than big cats etc, but v. pretty, with nice campground and facilities.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...