UKC

Footwear for North Wales enchainments

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Conor1 06 May 2014
I'm heading to north Wales to do some of the enchainments from this article http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=435
I will definitely need rock shoes for some of these routes. I have a pair of light ish salomon hill walking boots but they're still bulky and heavy enough when climbing, and I need to go as light and fast as possible to get round these circuits in a day.

The only other footwear I currently own are light road running trainers and an old pair of merrell approach/high street shoes.

Do I need to invest in a pair of proper approach shoes, or could I expect to do things like bristly ridge, crib goch, tryfan north ridge etc in trainers?

Thanks
 jezb1 06 May 2014
In reply to Conor1:

You'll be fine in trainers.
OP Conor1 06 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Thanks
 TobyA 06 May 2014
In reply to Conor1:

You'll probably find the trainers fine, possibly even good. If they are particularly light I find my feet can get a bit bashed about in them if there is a lot of scree to cross on your route. Then some slightly stouter approach shoes are nice but I doubt it will be the make or break factor in a long day like that.
 ark05 06 May 2014
yea trainers are best when doing big routes if you dont have approach shoes.

i've never had trouble and if you find any part of the scramble looks tough, just put on your rock shoes.

with tryfan/ bristly ridge the scrambling can be made hard or easy depending on the way you go.
 Mark Stevenson 06 May 2014
In reply to Conor1: Hi Conor,
Really glad you've found the article inspiring and hope you get some good settled weather when you get up to North Wales.
My preference was generally to solo even the easiest routes in rockshoes. To be honest I can't remember what other footwear I had back then for walking around, but in dry conditions it won't really be an issue and in wet weather you should really go and do something else. At this time of year there is no great need to rush, taking things at a steady pace and being fresh and relaxed for the climbs is the best way.
Best wishes and climb safe,
Mark
SethChili 06 May 2014
In reply to Conor1:

I'd be careful with footwear choice . I attempted to walk the welsh 3000ers in trail running shoes with minimal cushioning and my feet were trashed by half way through .
So pick something light enough to make the change from boots worth it , but with enough stiffness and cushioning to make a day on typical hilly and rocky terrain bearable .
OP Conor1 06 May 2014
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Many thanks Mark, definitely found the article inspiring. Though I may yet surprise you with a capacity for benightment even on long summer days!
Cheers for advice all
 wilkesley 07 May 2014
In reply to Conor1:

I do almost all of my walking and scrambling in Inov8 Roclite 295's. I find them comfortable for long walks over rough ground and the sole is sticky enough for easy climbing. I wouldn't fancy trying to climb Tennis Shoe in them, but they are fine for anything with positive incut holds.
 Jasonic 08 May 2014
In reply to Conor1:

Think what you have is fine. Some trainers are better in the wet than others! Rock shoes definitely make life easier on the routes. Had a friend whose grade was HS, did everything in plastic Asolo boots as alpine training with a rack of 6 nuts! Old school..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...