UKC

Buy Blencathra??? Really???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ARK 09 May 2014
http://buyblencathra.weebly.com/

So...
CROW laws will still apply.
LDNPA planning laws will still apply.
Commoners rights will still apply.
You couldn't technically build a windfarm there even if permission were possible.
Grazing levels cannot be changed as its common land.
Not big enough for deer stalking.
Not enough moor for grouse.
Only benefit of an owner like the NT is they may pay for some bracken treatment or other SSSI conservation including biodiversity but you don't need to own the to do that. Any landowner would be pleased for someone to spend money on their land for that for free.

So why waste £2m on this?
Let some idiot with too much money pay this chaps tax bill. The NT have already said they wont spend their money on it for these reasons.
People romantically would like Blencathra to belong to the NT but isn't it a pointless waste of public funds?
£2m could go to restoring moors, or comic releif, or SARDA (for instance).

Thoughts from a moorland restoration hydrologist.
 toad 09 May 2014
In reply to AndyKeen:

All of the above.

From one moorland restoration hydrologist to another!
OP ARK 09 May 2014
In reply to toad:

...and people have used the F&RCC purchase of Great Gable as an argument. But this was pre-national park and pre-access laws so there was a reason to buy.

Not any more.
 Bob 09 May 2014
In reply to AndyKeen:

Does anyone *need* to buy it?

If it's worth £X then surely ownership can be transferred to the state in place of £X. If you die intestate and have no near relatives then the whole of your estate goes to "The Crown", i.e. the state. Though there's probably some ancient rule that anything so transferred becomes the property of the Pri** of Wales, might be worth buying to avoid that happening
Removed User 09 May 2014
In reply to AndyKeen:

Don't forget the mineral rights (that you won't own).
 Martin W 09 May 2014
In reply to AndyKeen:

> People romantically would like Blencathra to belong to the NT but isn't it a pointless waste of public funds?

Point of Information: the NT isn't funded from taxation. It's a charitable body which receives the majority of its income from memberships, property revenues, legacies, appeals and commercial ventures. In 2012-2013 it received £30K in project grants and contributions from bodies such as the National Lottery and the EU, out of a total income of £450K.

http://www.nationaltrustannualreport.org.uk/
OP ARK 09 May 2014
In reply to Martin W:

I meant public funds as in the public's fundraising potential.

I cannot understand why folk would give money to pay for someone's tax bill and get a red herring in return rather than give the money to the NT or any other charity to do something good with.

I should start a counter campaign.

"Don't Buy Blencathra. Buy £2m of squeaky toys for search dogs instead"
In reply to AndyKeen:
Well, it's pretty obvious, surely. All the restrictions you mention are statutory and if in the future some pack of idiots is elected which amends the legislation then Blencathra might (a) if still in private hands be spoiled in some way or (b) e.g. if legislation regarding eg common lands is changed we might be able to kick sheep off it.

In other words, if bought by the NT it's in the hands of conservation-minded people and thus preserved for the nation.

Of course, whether that's the best use of £2 million is another matter, but it's not entirely a waste of money.

(Lord L is of course a total twat and one hates the idea of him having any money at all; I don't dispute that.)

jcm
Post edited at 15:50
In reply to AndyKeen:
> Thoughts from a moorland restoration hydrologist.

Agree!

Keep it out of the grabbing hands of the NT.

I would be happy if some bright spark (or the CEO of the NPA) would get off their backsides and do something useful about the disastrous bracken situation in the area instead of the ludicrous path schemes etc etc.

All indigenous flora, grasses, wildflowers are being removed due to bracken encroachment and the NPA does eff all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...