UKC

sleeping bag weights not as claimed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
neilus 10 May 2014
Hiya
Like many of you guys the weight of my gear is pretty important to me. So i was naturally a bit pissed off when my Gelert X-treme Lite, claimed at 1200g was actually a smidge over 1500g. Hmmm. Be careful with Gelert i thought.
I thought id found a good bargain on a one season lightweight bag - a Salewa Lima Ultralight - but again, the claimed 600g turned out to be 810g. Sceptical of my $2 dealextreme scales ive checked them in the supermarket and they're spot on.
Of course i thought maybe the given weight is without stuff sac but i have 2 issues with this; firstly, in the case of the Salewa, i cant believe the stuff sac weighs 200g! And secondly, why should the weight minus stuff sac be of any interest to me, what do they think i will carry it in?
Ok...maybe im being a bit fussy but im just a bit of a stickler for consumer rights and i hate being blatantly lied to like this. A few grammes here or there ok, but 30% heavier is ridiculous.
Any thoughts?
Cheers!!
 top cat 10 May 2014
In reply to neilus:

very common problem, not sure if we can do much about it. [avalanche shovel weight quoted was correct; for the shovel only! Add handle...] Sleeping bag weights often quote the filling, not the full thing.

Back when I cared more about it I took scales shopping with me!
 Mr Lopez 10 May 2014
In reply to neilus:

The weight of your gear "is important to you" to the extent that 200g worries you and then carry your sleeping bag in the stuff bag? Sounds like the people in London that spend £1000 on a bike to save 800g and then carry around a 2kg lock and chain combo to stop it getting stolen...

Anyway, most gear reviews will state the real weight compared with the manufacturers weight, and iirc needlesports do that in (some of) their product descriptions. That's where you have to look at.
neilus 10 May 2014
In reply to Mr Lopez:

I tend to chuck everything in stuff sacs...but you have a point, a sleeping bag doesnt necessarily have to go in one. But as I said what really gets on my goat is just the bare-faced deception of it. Makes me question any of the alleged "specifications" these companies claim for their products. Doesnt that concern you? If your yoghurt had 30% more sugar than the label says wouldnt you feel like you'd been lied to?
 StuDoig 10 May 2014
In reply to neilus:

contact the manufacturer and query it. I've a friend who did this and ended up with a higher spec and lighter bag as an apology. In this case the bag had a manufacturing fault though, rather than a sneaky way of listing the weight to try and impress!

Cheers

Stuart
 TobyA 10 May 2014
In reply to neilus:
You don't buy size long bags do you? Stated weights are often for regular. In clothes weight is normally for size medium.
neilus 10 May 2014
In reply to StuDoig:

I did that Stuart re: the Gelert. Even attatched a photo of tha bag on the scales showing 1.518kg to show what a pedantic tw*t i am! I threatened them with leaving a comment on Amazon giving the true weight; but all i got was a promise they would inform the RnD people. Might be worth pestering them a bit more!
 IainWhitehouse 10 May 2014
In reply to neilus:

> Any thoughts?

Weigh your ropes too

Cameron94 11 May 2014
In reply to neilus:

810gm for 1 season use?

My 4 season bag weighs 1100gm!

Is it a huge synthetic bag with chunky zips etc?

Often find stuff doesn't weigh what's quoted but my bag is spot on, you'll find that reviews normal give the stated weight and the genuine one.
 jimtitt 11 May 2014
In reply to neilus:

> Like many of you guys the weight of my gear is pretty important to me. So i was naturally a bit pissed off when my Gelert X-treme Lite, claimed at 1200g was actually a smidge over 1500g. Hmmm. Be careful with Gelert i thought.

A few milliseconds of searching tells us the weight of a Gelert X-treme Lite is 1.5kg.
http://www.sleepingbagsoutlet.co.uk/gelert-xtreme-lite-1200-red.html for example
 JayPee630 11 May 2014
In reply to neilus:

Gelert are a very cheap low quality manufacturer, not surprised there weights (and specs) would be wrong. Also (and it's happened to me) is that you see one website with a lower weight on which turns out to have been a typo when you look about and see others.
 imkevinmc 11 May 2014
In reply to neilus:

If you care so much about your gear why are you shopping in pound shops for Gelert kit?
In reply to neilus:

Spot on. I was disappointed to find that the DB7 doesn't have that number of seats. Be careful of Aston Martin I thought.
 Roberttaylor 11 May 2014
In reply to neilus:

>Put gear in tesco bags
>Put shoulders through loops
>Instant lightweight rucksack
>Proceed to climb
Cambridge-Climber 12 May 2014
In reply to IainWhitehouse:

> Weigh your ropes too

If they're too heavy you can always cut a bit off!

TobyA 12 May 2014
In reply to jimtitt:

Hmmm, seems maybe the OP mixed up the bag's name with its weight?
neilus 12 May 2014
For what its worth, it says 1.2kg on the stuff sac. What do you have Cameron94?
 Brown 12 May 2014
In reply to neilus:

Have you considered the accuracy of the scales you are using? Are they accurate in the range you are using them at?

I have in the past tested off the shelf measuring equipment and found it to be up to 30% off that of the independently calibrated reference measure!
 butteredfrog 12 May 2014
In reply to neilus:

200g, MAN UP, have a poo before you set off in a morning!!!! :P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...