UKC

Lofoten, Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
zheka8 11 May 2014
I'm planning a trip to Lofoten at the end of June. Does anyone have recommendations on ways to get there. I understand there are quite a number of options. I was thinking about flying to Bodo and renting a car and taking a ferry across. Is that the cheapest options? It's also possible to fly into some of the smaller airports Svolvaer and Harstad/Narvik, which closers, but would probably be more expensive. Anyone have any experience with traveling there? Is rental car a must or is it possible to get by without?

Thanks
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 May 2014
In reply to zheka8:

A bit dated but a useful starter:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1819

Chris
 Sl@te Head 11 May 2014
In reply to zheka8:

I've driven there in a camper van from Bergan and also via Esbjerg Denmark, great drive which I would do again from Bergan if only there was still a ferry there was a chance that ferry crossing's were starting again this year, worth checking.

I've also heard it's cheaper to fly to Sweden and hire a car there which is cheaper.
 d_b 11 May 2014
In reply to zheka8:

Last time I went there I flew to Tromso and hired a car. Norwegian are doing direct flights from Gatwick now.
 Merlin 11 May 2014
In reply to zheka8:

We got a connecting flight to Hardstad/Narvik and hired a car. You'll need a car to get about. We regrettably booked accommodation in advance and paid for it, if you've got time do this on arrival to find the best deal. The Kletterskool (excuse spelling) would be a good place to start. Unless of course you're camping, in which case wild camping is acceptable and common just outside Henningsvaer - I think there's even a water tap there. Or campsite further out of town.

Enjoy, it's a great place and the granite is exceptional.
 TobyA 11 May 2014
In reply to zheka8:

First, search "Lofoten" on UKC and you'll get loads of previous threads asking and debating what you've asked here.

Second, don't go in June. Everyone I know who has gone in June has had crappy weather, whilst I've always had OK to great weather going for weeks ranging from the end of July through to late August.
 Robert Durran 11 May 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> Second, don't go in June. Everyone I know who has gone in June has had crappy weather, whilst I've always had OK to great weather going for weeks ranging from the end of July through to late August.

Do you have actual meteorological data to back that up?

Oo 11 May 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:
For weather info on Norway yr.no is pretty damn good, here is the Lofoten history: http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Nordland/Flakstad/Lofoten/statistics.html
Post edited at 22:17
 TobyA 11 May 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

Nope, but I know or have met quite a few people who had miserable weather earlier in summer and we've always had decent weather on Lofoten and across on the mainland later in the summer. I've done 5 different week long trips up there over the last 15 years and never lost more than a day of climbing to rain on any of them and on most not lost any.
 ERU 11 May 2014

I drove there from Dover to Calis & then Hirtshals (Denmark) to Larvik (Norway). Two of us then drove up through Sweden and back through Norway, via Troll Wall. It was all very pleasant.

I've read somewhere (on a Norweigian ferry website) that the Bergen ferry is actually starting up this summer. There have been rumours for years, but it looked pretty official this time.

We had great weather, August, but it got cold (especially at night) as Sept approached.

Good luck.
Post edited at 22:28
 johnbb 12 May 2014
In my view, renting a car is not a must, but convenient. From the wild camping close to the Gandalf wall (20 min. walking from Henningsvær) quite a lot of the climbing is within reasonable walking distance. Besides there is a bus to/from Henningsvær a couple of times each day.

If you decide to fly to Bodø, you might also consider the ferry to Moskenes and hire a car there from one of the local companies which may be cheaper than the larger ones, e.g.
http://www.rentacar-moskenes.no
http://www.berresbil.no/bilutleie
http://lofotenutleiebiler.com/bilerpriser/?lang=en

cem 12 May 2014
In reply to zheka8:

You would cut down the driving time a lot by flying to Harstad/Narvik. Even if flights to Bodo are cheaper, you'll be spending more on fuel and would have the cost of the ferry as well.
In reply to zheka8:

I sailed from Immingham to Gothenburg and drove all the way up(in 1968!) Today I reckon that the cheapest way in toto would be to rent a camper van or just a common transporter,sail from Harwich to Esbjerg and drive the whole way up.The roads are all good today and its a super trip.You can camp anywhere,but with a camper even that's not necessary." pieces of advice:don't exceed the speed limit in Norway - the police are red hot.This applies to drinking while driving too.Most important...dieselfuel(you are renting a diesel of course) is cheaper in Denmark than in GB,Sweden and Norway,,so do like I do:take a few jerrycans and fill up where and when its cheapest,ie in Denmark before 9.30 am and not on the motorway.June and September are best,and the wheather can be superb or just crap - you just take pot luck.Anyway,I hope you enjoy Norway as much as I've been enjoying it now for over 45 years.
In reply to zheka8:

Forgot to mention::take all booze with you It costs an arm and a leg in Norway.So does most food anyway,I's have all my food with me from home except bread and perhaps fish.Buy the M711 maps,which are just like the OS maps - you can get them from the Map Shop somewhere in the west Country if my memory serves me correctly.
In reply to zheka8:

Also:don't take the ferry from Bodo.drive on to Skutvikand take the ferry from there to svolvær.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...