UKC

Campag wheels - CULT -v- USB?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 11 May 2014
Hi,

Wheels I'm looking at come with a choice of bearings, as follows (all cup and cone):

1 - CULT - carbon hubs with alu flanges. Inner/outer cups are Chronitect, Ceramic bearings run in a cage in oil. Smooth and pricy.
2 - USB - carbon hubs with alu flanges. Inner/outer cups are steel, Ceramic bearings run in a cage in grease.
3 - standard - alu hubs. Inner/outer cups are steel, steel bearings run in a cage in grease. Not really interested in these.

What I'm trying to get to the bottom of is the costs of servicing/replacing the bearings.

1 - CULT - £184 per wheel for a bearing kit inc inner cups that need to be press-fitted by Campy service center costing £25 per wheel + p&p. I've also been told you can get the replacement ceramic races for £110 per wheelset and change them yourself if the faces are ok.
2 - USB - presume it's the same £110 per wheelset, as above.

Anyone know anything further? That's about as far as I've been able to ascertain and got stuck!
 Mountain Llama 11 May 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout: I have never serviced my road or mtb hubs since designs changed to be pretty much weatherproof in the mid 90s.

Avoid power washers and you should be fine.

Cheers davey

woolsack 11 May 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Sorry to be a pedant, it's Campag over here not Campy. As you were

Surely it must be possible to buy/make a tool to press fit the bearing races yourself?
 gethin_allen 12 May 2014

Options 1 and 2 just sound like a ball ache waiting to happen. Is there that much difference in weight? Considering also that hub weight is less important than rim/spoke weight. I can't sat I've ever worried about the smoothness of a properly serviced set of steel bearings.
 woolsack 12 May 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

There are a few Youtube vids showing how much longer ceramic bearings spin relative to steel, if you are looking to save watts that is one easy if expensive way
 gethin_allen 12 May 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> There are a few Youtube vids showing how much longer ceramic bearings spin relative to steel, if you are looking to save watts that is one easy if expensive way

you could probably achieve the same gains from running a light oil in the bearings rather than a grease.
 Sir Chasm 12 May 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> There are a few Youtube vids showing how much longer ceramic bearings spin relative to steel, if you are looking to save watts that is one easy if expensive way

Have they got an 80kg weight on them?
 woolsack 12 May 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Why would they need to? If they have less inherent friction that will be the case with or without a rider on.

Or// It's Monday morning, I just fancy a bit of trolling?

You are unclesamauntibess and I claim my £5
 Sir Chasm 12 May 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> Why would they need to? If they have less inherent friction that will be the case with or without a rider on.

> Or// It's Monday morning, I just fancy a bit of trolling?

Just curious really. If an unweighted ceramic bearing spins 3 times (for arguments sake) as long as a steel bearing how many watts advantage do you think that will give you?

> You are unclesamauntibess and I claim my £5

How very dare you!
 woolsack 12 May 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Marginal gains, marginal gains....

I think it is reasonably proven that ceramic bearings are the way to go to achieve the lowest possible level of friction. Personally, more training for the engine is what is required

OP LastBoyScout 12 May 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> Personally, more training for the engine is what is required

Absolutely - but struggling to fit that in around a 3-month old baby...

Think I'd feel a bit of a fraud using CULT, but can't find anywhere stocking the USB option.
 woolsack 12 May 2014

> Absolutely - but struggling to fit that in around a 3-month old baby...

> Think I'd feel a bit of a fraud using CULT, but can't find anywhere stocking the USB option.

Yes, turbo's are noisy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...