UKC

One day, one walk: Tryfan?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 12 May 2014
Hi.
Will have one day to myself to go on a walk in this area next week. Thinking something involving Tryfan + Glyder Fach - Glyder Fawr and maybe donw via Y Garn.

Not walked in this area before. Is all of the above walking / scrambling (to what grade)? Whats the deal with wandering / freedom to roam? Do I have to stick to paths? Is descent OK from Foel Goch, down west spur?

Whats the best paper map for this region?

If its dry, are the streams OK to drink from?
 Jimbo C 12 May 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

The 'best' route up is Tryfan North Ridge followed by Bristly Ridge, both at grade 1 scrambling, after that it's walk to Y Garn (there is optional scrambling but I don't know much about it), not sure about the descent you mentioned.

Map required is OL17.

Take your own water or risk drinking something filtered through a dead goat, up to you
 Mike Peacock 12 May 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Do you mean the east spur of Foel Goch (i.e. Y Llymllwyd)? If so it's a nice way down with good views over the Mushroom Garden and Creigiau Gleision. You can then follow the stream that flows from Cwm Cywion (faint path) down to the minor road at Ogwen.

If you did actually mean the west spur that leads down to Nant Peris, then that's a nice easy way down.

You can wander pretty much at will (it's mainly access land, and marked on the map as such), except some of the fields round farms and such.
OP Flinticus 12 May 2014
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Hahaha! yes East!! I get my left / right etc mixed up when writing / talking though I know where I mean!

Thanks. Now I've got to hope for good weather. I've twice sat at the base of Tryfan in torrential rain with cloud nearly down to its base, in early winter, and not even got out of the car!

Re the water: I'm used to drinking from the sparkling fresh burns that grace the Scottish hills.
 Mal Grey 12 May 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

As others say, Tryfan - Bristly Ridge - Glyder Fach & Fawr - Y Garn etc is an excellent round, with the option of extending to Foel Goch. Personally I've only gone as far as Y Garn (except when doing the 3000s, in the other direction).
The North ridge of Tryfan is one of the classic scrambles, good grade 1, but with ways round the hardest or most exposed bits. Bristly Ridge is, to me, slightly harder and less escapable, but fairly short. After that, the unusual rock architecture on the plateaus is fascinating, before you drop to Llyn y Cwn. Y Garn is a nice hill in its own right, with steep cwms (corries) to the east.

You can pretty much wander at will over these hills, the only bit I'm not sure on is the walled areas below Foel-Goch and NE of Y Garn.

Not sure I'd drink from the streams near Llyn y Cwn, too many folk trogging through them, and there's not a lot else until the descent.

I'd grab a copy of the 1:25000 Explorer 17, there's loads on it for future trips.

Enjoy!

llechwedd 12 May 2014
In reply to Mal Grey:

> You can pretty much wander at will over these hills, the only bit I'm not sure on is the walled areas below Foel-Goch and NE of Y Garn.

Looking at your profile, I don't think you'd make the same mishtake- but a week ago I talked two lads back up to the summit of Foel Goch. They were blithely unaware of the perils of Yr Esgair, and insisted there was a footpath on it.
Once back on safe ground they were able to see that the green line on their map was in fact the National Trust boundary line..
 Mark Kemball 12 May 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Maps - I'd recommend the BMC Harvey's map - http://www.bmcshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=278_507_279&products_id...
OP Flinticus 13 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:
> the perils of Yr Esgair,

Don't worry, I have the map Frodo gave me showing the bypass route.
OP Flinticus 13 May 2014
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Thanks: got the OL17 map in the end. Local shops did not stock the Harvey's and didn't want to buy online (delivery times etc).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...