UKC

Primus Omnifuel stove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Brains 28 Sep 2003
Is it any good?
Jono Graham 29 Sep 2003
In reply to Brains:

Yes!

And to spark the arguement, it's better than the MSR Dragonfly or XKG!
 Damo 29 Sep 2003
In reply to Jono Graham:

I agree - steel pump, sturdier base & pot supports, harder to break, burns hotter at altitude (tested side-by-side at 14K camp on Denali).

Only drawback is that finding/exchanging/swapping out parts on expeditions as so many other people have only XGKs. I've not had to do this, as I haven't had a problem with my Primus, but it is possible.

D
david glancy 02 Oct 2003
In reply to Damo:
Can't help but read this with interest.
Trawling the net for a stove and stuck between choosing the
1 MSR Dragonfly ($85 Eastern Mountain Sports)
2 MSR XGK ($109 as above), or
3 Primus Himalaya omni fuel (£71 mec.ca)
Going to Aconcagua in Feb, and needing a beast that will melt snow by the barrowload, not break down, and run on everything including cheap plonk.
What is the jury's verdict???
 Damo 03 Oct 2003
In reply to david glancy:

As above, I think the Primus is better, but certainly on Aconcagua all the sheeple will be using XGKs, so spares will be easier to find. However, assuming the Omni is the one that also takes canisters (Primus put two out, one did, one didn't, the latter being cheaper), and they sell canisters in Mendoza (plus leftovers from other expeds), that gives you a fuel option over XGKs.

Obviously XGKs are not crap, far from it, I just think the Primus is a bit better. I have also had a Dfly but that WAS crap and I no longer use it. Lots of bad reports around on Dflys. I found the screw thingy in the flame adjuster clogged too easily and that I never really used the adjuster anyway - I just melt snow and boil water. Also had O-ring problems and a sub-standard plunger cup, but they're not specific to the Dfly, as far as I know.

D
Jono Graham 03 Oct 2003
In reply to Damo:

The omnifuel does indeed run on gas, but only screw top coleman types, as opposed to the blue push-on caps. If you can get these or white fuel then cleaning isn't really an issue. Definitely better than the DFly though.

Also, if swapping between gas and liquid fuel remember to change the nozzles. First time i used it forgot and managed to make a flare the size of a bus!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...