UKC

Polar HRM battery replacement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 13 May 2014
The battery in my Polar 720i needs replacing again.

No info on Polar website, I have had to email them and await a reply re price, delay (ie time I won't be able to train effectively), procedure etc. I'm tempted to open it up and change it myself but worried about losing water proofing. Has anyone tried this, got any advice, or recent experience of Polar service?

Considering moving on to a Garmin Edge 500 to replace it (and save carrying my 'phone for Strava) but would like to save money by carrying on with Polar

Thanks
 wilkesley 13 May 2014
In reply to kevin stephens:

Not got a Polar myself, but having recently replaced the batteries on a Casio Protrek I would say go ahead and do it yourself but be careful not to damage the gasket. Here are a couple of links to get you started:

youtube.com/watch?v=EeP4AxV_NcU&
http://www.amazon.com/review/R35TEBBMBR68FZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R35TEBBMBR...
Antigua 13 May 2014

Used to use a 625x way back in the day and ended up opening it up and changing the battery myself. Seems along as you get the gasket right it should remain water proof.

I ended up moving over to Garmin far less hassle.

I got a reply from Polar, they can replace the battery in 7 days for £16.50, however

"due to the age of your unit, sealing rings are no longer available. This means we can replace the battery but are unable to guarantee that the unit will remain water resistant and cannot offer the usual 6 month service warranty"

So I've just ordered a Garmin Edge 500
 dustyrat 14 May 2014
Since replacing the original battery in my polar axn300 it's never been the same, battery icon shows low charge all the time, the sound has gone and I was experiencing spikes / drops in the heart rate measurements even when running at steady pace on the flat.

I recently treated myself to a Suunto Ambit2 (with HR belt) quite a bit more than the Garmin 500 but with the customisation and the free suunto movescount might be worth considering? Ambit2 is charged via usb cable, appreciate it won't have an infinite life but no more battery worries.

If you're looking for bike specific functionality can be linked with other Suunto devices and there are tonnes of training plans to download.

I believe Facewest have a 28 Satisfaction Guarantee on the Ambit2, might be worth looking at?
Post edited at 09:04

First ride with Garmin 500 Edge, a really great piece of kit, wondering why I put up with the Polar for so long

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...