UKC

Mulhacen - advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 14 May 2014
I'm planning on climbing Mulhacen from the south via the Refugio Poquiera in August.

Does anyone know is it possible to add any interest via scrambly ridges from the south?

Or is it pretty much a walk even from this side?

Thanks
 JohnnyW 14 May 2014
In reply to Babika:

Not got the map in front of me, but iirc, we camped at the Siete Lagunas, and then walked up the sort of edge of the coire to the summit. It was a walk, but more interesting than the descent, which was due South I think?

I reckon any more challenging routes would be from the North....but as I say, I haven't got the map here at work!
OP Babika 16 May 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

Thanks Johnny.
So was that from the East or West instead?
 JohnnyW 16 May 2014
In reply to Babika:

Erg, again, I have no map to hand, (and cannot access things on works' 'net'. From memory, it was the WSW. I am straight off down to Snowdonia tonight after work, but I'll have a look on Sunday night when I get back.

The maps and info came from this site - http://www.walking.demon.co.uk/alpujarr.htm
OP Babika 16 May 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

Thanks!
Cortijo Pino 23 May 2014
In reply to Babika:

I live and work in the area as an IML guide, whilst Mulhacen is lacking in any good scrambles the ridge south of Veleta to the west of Mulhacen is OK at about grade 1. You start from the Carahuela refuge ( a small unmanned hut) and follow a good path S to the main ridge then scramble to the W side and onto the crest via some fairly exposed slabs , from there south to the Elioretta refuge ( unmanned) its a fairly broad rock ridge. Some good scrambles in ranges to the North of the Sierra Nevada
OP Babika 29 May 2014
In reply to Cortijo Pino:

Thanks for the info - appreciated!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...