UKC

Climbing in Georgian Caucasus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mlt 14 May 2014
Hi,

I'm wondering if any one here has visited/climbed in the Caucasus region of Georgia. I know border permits are in place on the Russian side, but are there any restrictions/permits required in Georgia? I haven't yet been able to find out.

Also anything to be aware of in terms of security/safety? I've heard various things, but I don't know whether to take it with a pinch of salt and what the actual situation really is like.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks
 pec 14 May 2014
In reply to mlt:

I have no knowledge of the area but have you looked on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website? If the official advice is "against all but essential treavel" or something along those lines then your insurance policy will probably be invalid and they won't pay up should you need to make a claim.
 67hours 14 May 2014
In reply to mlt:

Matt,

The AC ran a trip there this March I believe? Areas like Kazbegi and Chaukhi Mountain aren't an issue getting to, but I think Svaneti and the area to the far NW are more difficult (from memory, its been a little while). I suggest you contact Bruce Packard at the Alpine Club for more details, I think he's even doing a lecture in London on the 27th May about it...!

George
 JohnV 15 May 2014
In reply to mlt:

I went ski mountaineering in Georgia last spring, to Kasbek and Mestia. We weren't asked for any permits anywhere. We stayed in the betlemi hut, a huge disused meteo station, for the skiing around and on Kasbek and there is a charge for this, ask at the Geoland map shop in Tblisi.

In terms of safety we felt completely fine save for one incident which was completely our fault. We had a celebratory night out in Tblisi after successfully skiing Kasbek and decided to drink cha cha, the local spirit. This led, through a rambling set of circumstances, to two us being robbed at knifepoint and having phones, wallets and stupidly, my passport being taken. I thought this meant that the rest of my trip would be spent in an embassy trying to get home, but the police arrived soon after the robbery and, through another set of even more rambling circumstances, found the thieves and all of our stuff! The police were truly excellent.
OP mlt 27 May 2014
In reply to 67hours:

Hey guys, thanks for all your input and suggestions
 Tim Sparrow 27 May 2014
In reply to mlt:
Back in 1998 an AC trip got robbed twice at gun point in Svanetia, once in the mountains above Mestia and the second just outside Ushguli. We were warned of a threat near Mazeri as well and were ushered into the village. Frightening.
However, these were two isolated instances and the rest of the people made us incredibly welcome. Georgians are great hosts.
Things will have moved on I am sure and I expect there is a much improved tourist infrastructure there now. So, if you experience no problems you will come away thinking it is the best place on earth. Fantastic remote mountains. Proper old style stuff and forests with woodcutters and glades with hovels and old cheese making ladies etc!
Hope you find it that way. I'd love to go back.
Post edited at 23:09
OP mlt 29 May 2014
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

Jeepers. That sounds like a pain! What did you get done out there?

I am most looking forward to old cheese making ladies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...