UKC

Uganda

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 splat2million 14 May 2014
Has anyone been to Uganda?
It's looking like I'm going to be spending 2 weeks in June there, and would love to find a mountain to climb.
It needs to take not more than 2-3 days and walking / easy scrambling is preferred. If any gear is needed will need to be able to hire nearby as trying to travel light.
I haven't worked out what part of the country I'll be staying in yet so looking everywhere at the moment.
From what I've googled so far it looks like the highest ones take many days to do, but does anyone here have any experience or ideas?
 Cathy 15 May 2014
In reply to splat2million:

The Rwenzori are fascinating and well worth visiting, but sadly they won't fit into your time frame.

As Cathy said, you're too tight on time for the real good stuff. You'd need at least a week for a proper Rwenzori trip. But assuming it's not slap bang in the middle of rainy season you should strongly consider extending your trip to make this possible. One of the most amazing and unique places I've ever been, the mountains are spectacular. Not cheap though, you have to budget for guide, porters and park entry fee - you're not permitted to DIY it
 jkarran 15 May 2014

I was there a few years ago for 3 weeks, it's a beautiful place. We caught a bus make sure you get a seat, turn up on time and be prepared to wait hours for it to fill to bursting before departure) from Kampala down to the south west corner bordering Rwanda and the DRC. If it were easier to get to it'd be high on lot's of tourism must-see lists, the scenary is spectacular. We stopped a few nights on an island in lake Bunyonie (sp?) which was more than worth the effort then climbed the 4000+m volcano that straddles the border with Rwanda and DRC. I forget it's name (guide book will cover it) but the trek (10Hr or so I guess) was unforgettable through bamboo then several different layers of bush and cloud mostly on steep ground and crude ladders. It's all nature reserve and you do need to hire a guide (complete with AK47) apparently for wildlife protection (both ways, there's big stuff hiding in the trees). It wasn't cheap by Ugandan standards but it wasn't expensive by UK standards (Gorilla trekking in the same park is!) and it was well worth it.

jk
 tom84 15 May 2014
In reply to jkarran:

you caught the wrong bus, mine had air conditioning and big seats- left on time and only stopped once!
OP splat2million 21 May 2014

Hey all,

Further to this, I'm thinking of staying here:
http://www.backpackers.co.ug/rwenzoribackpack.html

Anyone been? Opinions?
Also do you know the exact location? Can't find it on google maps. Kilembe doesn't look terribly big so I imagine it is ok to find.

I'm not (unfortunately...) just going to be spending the whole time up in the mountains and may be staying there for up to 2 weeks.

David

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...