UKC

Ben Nevis Main Tourist Route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bruce6571 20 May 2014
Hi

Very sorry if this is dull and i should know where to find the info but i have spent about 20mins searching and cant find a detailed answer.

On sunday me and some friends are walking up Ben Nevis, the ordinary route. I am trying to find out how much snow is still around. i know there is some near the zig zags, but unable to find out how much, how deep and how difficult it would be to walk withnormal boots.

any advice please?

thanks
In reply to Bruce6571:

Blimey......you'll get a good grilling from ukc for asking that! good luck!!
 DaveHK 20 May 2014
In reply to Bruce6571:

Any remaining patches will not present an issue.
Bruce6571 20 May 2014
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

hi, sorry for being a bit thick, but in what way will i get a grilling?

Bruce6571 20 May 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Hi Dave. Thanks for the info.
 connor 20 May 2014
In reply to Bruce6571:

Hi Bruce

I really do hope no one gives you a grilling, surely it is the smart thing to do and ask?

There is pretty much constant snow from the top of the zig zags, when the cloud comes in it is still very much "the white room" and there are still some naughty cornices all the way along the north face so if you have to nav I would definitely be aiming off. the only other thing of note is that the red burn is still quite full, it would definitely still require an axe as a slip could have major consequence, so beware you don't get sucked into trying to shave off more time on the decent. Other than that enjoy the spring views!!

Thanks

Connor
In reply to Bruce6571:

Mate,you are not bring thick. Unfortunately there is a cohort on UKC who jump down the throat of people asking these sorts of perfectly reasonable questions!

I don't know what any part of the Ben is like as i was last there on easter sunday. Mwis.org.uk can give you a good forecast,and if you google the ben nevis webcam,you can see how much you will or will not be able to see.

Have a good trip.
 ablackett 20 May 2014
 DaveHK 20 May 2014
Bruce6571 20 May 2014
In reply to Bruce6571:

Thank you to everyone for the assistance. Will be careful.

cheers all

Mark
 ablackett 21 May 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Not sure what relevance a north facing grade 2 gully is to that.

Probably not much, but I was demonstrating that in some areas there is still a lot of snow up there and that people should be careful about where they are. It's a dangerous place in bad weather when there are cornices around and I put that photo up to demonstrate that. Apologies if it wasn't totally relevant - but it is a good photo.
 DaveHK 21 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

> but it is a good photo.

It's a great photo. He didn't fanny about under that cornice!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...