UKC

Waterfall Farm Swallet as an abseil venue?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 20 May 2014

Hi, I'm in the Peak with a few mates this weekend (Teaching nav) and am looking for a suitable abseil venue. Given that it's a B/H weekend I didn't want to go to the usual honey pots as I wouldn't want to prevent people climbing as we abseil for say half an hour on any given wall, we'll be looking for somewhere at roughly tea time.

I found Waterfall Farm Swallet in the crag list and see that it's actually a winter venue - is it also suitable as an abseil venue? or is it too wet, or just not feasbale.

Thanks, TtB
 Andrew Barker 20 May 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Waterfall Swallet is on private land in close view of a house (I'm not sure if the occupants of this house are the land owners) so unfortunately it might not be the best spot.

There were comments about it being privately owned on the Waterfall Farm Swallet logbook page but they seem to have been removed.
 deepsoup 20 May 2014
I'm not sure what the access situation is like, delicate possibly, but I did meet the landowner (I think) who lives in the farmhouse very close by when I went to take a look a couple of winters ago and he seemed to be a thoroughly nice chap.

It is likely to be rather wet though, and green, and a tad muddy. Not ideal probably.

How about Ladybower Quarry? Much bigger and more impressive, very unlikely that you'll find anyone climbing there. (And even if there are, they'll probably only be interested in The Rat.)
 Mountain Lass 20 May 2014

Bamford Quarry too might have something on the left side? There certainly won't be anyone there and access permitting it's a pretty spot.

Otherwise Tegness pinnacle (indeed any of the bays thereabouts) Little stuff on White and Hobb edges may serve.

ml
In reply to Andrew Barker:

Thanks to all three of you. I wondered about the sensitivity of the access, I wouldn't want to put any future climbing in jeopardy so will give it a miss.

Some good suggestions, thanks. However we're staying near Eyam so maybe a teatime visit to Horseshoe would work. iirc there are many routes, and the weather is looking damp so it wouldn't be too busy, worth a look at least I think.

Failing that... Froggatt? I could even get them climbing up Green Gut etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...