UKC

Bike Park Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 21 May 2014
Booked in for an uplift on Friday, has anyone been, what did you think?

Any highlights not to be missed? what sort of riding can I expect? I'm riding an 120 fs XC bike, but i'm happy with technical stuff in the alps on it so I'm assuming it will be up to most of the routes? Any jumpy stuff?

Considering Booking something burlier to hire for the afternoon if not.
OP balmybaldwin 21 May 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Morning bump... anyone been?
 ChrisJD 21 May 2014

Yep and it was great.

Hopefully drier than when we were there...

They are all good - try em all!

First three vids here are BPW.

http://vimeo.com/album/2066005/sort:date/format:thumbnail
 DaveR 21 May 2014

I've only done the blues (on a hard tail) and they were great in the dry, very quick and they feel like rollercoasters

Haven't done anything harder so can't help there I'm afraid.
MarkM 21 May 2014

you'll be OK on most of the trails on an FS XC bike - though didn't do any of the blacks so can't comment on those....
take body armour if you've got it - three injuries of varying severity in 1 day on our group.

If it's wet and windy then useful to have something warm to wear up - I got cold waiting for 15 min for an uplift and struggled to get warm again

Enjoy!

Cheers
Mark
 ChrisJD 24 May 2014

So how did your day go on Friday?
OP balmybaldwin 04 Jun 2014

Only just got back online properly after the wales trip. Heres a fairly hashed together video of our first run. And what I put on the other thread:

vimeo.com/97273086

Just back from a very wet weekend mtbing in Wales, which despite natures best efforts, and a few crashes in our group was a success. Stayed in a quiet campsite in ffarmers that has a pub with great food.

Had a uplift day at bike park wales on friday, with intermittent torrential rain, which made everything a bit spicier than normal. Its a great day out, and even in the rain, the routes were good and rode well. Did both the blues, which are fast and fun (and can bite when you over do it) and are probably more like a red at other trail centers. The reds are great, and more like a black at afan or coed y brenin. The black we did "enter the dragon" was very big, especially some of the kickers and burms, and a few big drops with obscured landings (which we bottled, but no we've seen it from the otherside isnt going to be a problem next time) Only downer on the day was 2 in our group hired bikes as they are in the market for new ones, and had a minor spill. On returning bikes, the mechanic spotted an almost imperceptible scratch on the for stantion on one of the bikes, and wanted to charge £320 for the damage until he was advised about the error of his ways. £65 hire charge is a lot in the first place, and minor accidental scuffs should be included. Fair enough if we had been sessioning jumps, but this was a minor slip on a wet track that they know this bike will be used on. I will go back, but wont hire their bikes.

The rest of the weekend was spent at Brechfa, which has pvoven to be the best centre ive visited in wales for xc routes. The Raven Trail (black) in attotious conditions was an absolute riot on the saturday, we then did the green and blue derwen trail at night in the pissing rain which was brilliant fun, if a little slippery, and then the gorlech trail (red) sunday morning is the jewel in the crown, even in the wet its great, but bring your climbing legs. I ve done it 5 times now, only once in the dry...bloody welsh weather!

Tish sir! Your video is excellent. I am moving to s Wales (Brecon Beacons area) in the summer and look forward to exploring all the trail centres again. Don't blame your annoyance over bike hire. What do they think you are going to do with them? Glad common sense ruled in the end.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...