UKC

midge repellent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Not a gear question per se, but still a necessary bit of kit...

What is the best midge spray / brand for Scotland? Or will any old crap from Boots do just fine?
 TAG_UTLEY 21 May 2014
In reply to mh554:

Smidge that midge:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smidge-That-Midge-Insect-Repellent/dp/B00413715E/re...

reasonably priced, seems to work quite well, doesn't smell too bad! I was told by a friend that it was concocted in Scotland for keeping the Scottish midges/flies at bay, so probably a good bet that it'll work well.
 liz j 21 May 2014
In reply to mh554:

Neem oil, although you won't have any friends!
 kestrelspl 21 May 2014
In reply to TAG_UTLEY:

Another vote for Smidge, you can see the little things fly right up to you smell the repellant and turn around.
 Welsh Kate 21 May 2014
In reply to kestrelspl:

Smidge
 Gordonbp 21 May 2014
In reply to mh554:

Another vote for Smidge. I'm allergic to mozzies, horseflies etc etc and usually get bitten to death when no-one else is. Smidge is the ONLY thing I've ever found that actually works.
 deepsoup 21 May 2014
In reply to mh554:
> Or will any old crap from Boots do just fine?

Any old crap that has a reasonably high proportion of DEET will work, but Smidge is much nicer.

Alternatively, for a powerful homeopathic midge repellant, drop a squashed midge into a loch or a reservoir, run round to the other side and fill up a sigg bottle.
 AlH 21 May 2014
In reply to mh554:

Smidge
andymac 21 May 2014
In reply to mh554:

Tear Gas.

RomTheBear 21 May 2014
In reply to mh554:

Anyone tried this home made midge eater ?

youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-3MKdTPog&
 RomTheBear 21 May 2014
In reply to andymac:

Or go for a swim in Dalgety bay, after that you should be radioactive enough that you'll have a protective radiation shield around you.
 peebles boy 21 May 2014
In reply to mh554:

Smidge.

Used Avon Skin So Soft for years, and although they didn't bite you (they absorb the oily mess and die on contact with your skin leaving you with dead midges all over you), it never actually kept them away.

Smidge not only stops them biting you, but it does actually seem to repel them as well. Which is handy since I stopped smoking, as that was also always a good anti-midge defence!!
aultguish 21 May 2014
In reply to mh554:

Bugger all works for me, so I keep myself covered, no shorts, long sleeves and a midge net for my skull.
 Baron Weasel 21 May 2014
In reply to mh554:

+1 for smidge. Bought 6 cans after seeing it in action. PANIC to calm in moments after application.
 sarahjk 21 May 2014
In reply to mh554:

Which shops can you buy it in, wont have time to order before heading up to feed the wildlife this weekend !
 The Potato 21 May 2014
In reply to mh554:

i wonder if smidge will work against sandflies in NZ

against midges I find a few cigarettes work also but may also keep people at bay
 Denzil 21 May 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> i wonder if smidge will work against sandflies in NZ

Used it last year in NZ and it worked fine for me - and I'm usually popular with midges, mosquitos and sand flies.

Roguevfr 21 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

Most tesco stores in midge areas in scotland stock it, failing that almost every outdoor shop.
 Mr Trebus 21 May 2014
In reply to mh554:

I use the full proof method of "the sacrificial girlfriend" midgies, cleggs and mosquito all go for her and leave me alone.

If she is not about then smidge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...