UKC

Glyde: Fach: end of sinister gully

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 22 May 2014
I think I went up this gully taking Bristly Ridge up. Does it end with a small bridge / arch of dodgy looking rock and turf which you can squeeze under or go around on the right?
In reply to Flinticus:
It sounds to me that you went up Dexter Gully which is the way I always go. It's the right hand of the two gullies. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and I think it's in a potentially dangerous state. The boulder has been washed out over the winter and as you probably saw the rock is very shattered up there.

I think the next time I go up I'll change the habit of a lifetime and use 'Sinister' instead.
Post edited at 17:05
OP Flinticus 22 May 2014
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

Cheers! With that knowledge I found a blog report by 'Wulfrunian' and a photo there shows the rock arch I went under.
Wulfrunian 22 May 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Yup, the rock arch is at the top of Dexter/Main/Right-hand Gully and the usual route is to scrabble your way up underneath it. It is in a bad way at the moment. Was up there last Saturday and there was a fat bloke jammed in there, which probably won't do it much good either.

The last few times I've been up there, I've avoided it by taking a line up the left wall of the upper part of the gully, once past the steep wall in the gully bed. A little ledge traverse then takes you across to the exit point of the arch. Much better.
 Oujmik 22 May 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Relieved to see others share my feelings that the exit is (or has become) very sketchy. We did it it April, were intending to go up sinister but followed another party up dexter and found the top out through the hole and the extremely loose section beforehand very thought provoking.
OP Flinticus 23 May 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

So which is the harder scramble? Sinister or dexter?
In reply to Flinticus:

Dexter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...