UKC

Rysy - Polish Tatra info needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hillseeker 26 May 2014
I'm thinking of going up Rysy in mid June this year. Just wondered if anyone had been up it this time of year before.

My problem is I only have approach shoes with me in Poland, no boots, crampons or axe. Websites suggest the main tourist season is July to September but I figure that could be stretched a little for someone more experienced!

Of course it comes down to conditions on the day I guess...
 Chris Beck 26 May 2014
In reply to toasted:

You should be fine , cant see there being much snow left.
Check out the Morskie Oko webcams on the Topr website , as i am sure you know.
You can always just go from the Slovak side instead?
redsonja 26 May 2014
In reply to toasted:

we were there in late june a few years ago and there was still a lot of snow on the polish side. you could try e mailing the tourist office in zakopane and ask what conditions are like. hope you enjoy rysy. the tatras are fab!
rukkan 26 May 2014
In reply to redsonja:

We were there in late june 2010 and had absolutely no need for crampons. Snow conditions can obviously vary from year to year. Check weather forecast and try to contact tourist office.
 Gael Force 26 May 2014
In reply to toasted:

As others have said it will be clear of snow unless there are freak conditions. There are chains on the tricky bits and also queues, so going out of season is a good idea.
OP Hillseeker 26 May 2014
In reply to Chris Beck:

Thanks for all the replies. Will check out the webcam and give the tourist office a call nearer the time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...