UKC

Hut booking etiquette

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d80f0u 28 May 2014
Could anyone from the ethics police tell me whether it's considered acceptable to book several consecutive nights in the same hut, knowing that you'll end up cancelling all but one of them closer to the time when you've got a more reliable weather forecast?

Cheers,
Ben
abseil 28 May 2014
In reply to d80f0u:

It's wrong in my 'umble opinioning.
 rj_townsend 28 May 2014
In reply to d80f0u:

The fact that you're even asking means that you know the answer already.
 d_b 28 May 2014
In reply to d80f0u:

This is why people start charging non refundable deposits.
 Paul Everett 28 May 2014
In reply to d80f0u:

Totally wrong. You can have a good idea of the forecast a week in advance and if you are only a one or two people there is usually no problem in booking but do not know what country we talking. In Switzerland hut wardens are understanding but not with someone who books knowing they will cancel.
 Ian.Hogg 28 May 2014
In reply to d80f0u:

I have sometimes booked two nights in a hut in the expectation of doing a route and getting back late-ish and needing a bed, then doing the route quicker and deciding to go straight to the valley on the second night, but always phoning or calling in the hut to let them know. Same if book a night or two in advance, then change routes - phone in and cancel. Some huts get fully booked in season, especially weekends, so you would be denying others opportunity.
 alasdair19 29 May 2014
In reply to d80f0u:

Completely unacceptable. Your depriving the guardian of his living and potentially other climbers. Not that many huts are super busy in summer particularly if it's not August or a weekend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...