UKC

Froomes book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 01 Jun 2014
Looking forward to reading his autobiography and getting another slant of events a la 2012 Tour /Wiggins.

"We rode around him and his moods like he was a traffic island" - Chris Froome.

Good team building stuff for The Tour.

Removed User 01 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

I simply can't take to the man. I think his behavior on the 2012 Tour was unnecessary, childish and dis-honourable.

I'll likely read the book and it may change my mind.
 andy 01 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User: Agreed - I wonder how much of this is written by his mrs - seems very unnecessary.
Removed User 01 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> I simply can't take to the man. I think his behavior on the 2012 Tour was unnecessary, childish and dis-honourable.

Same here, though he went up in my estimation after his podium speech last year. But I'll still be quietly rooting for Wiggins.
Removed User 01 Jun 2014

The thing is, he comes across as such a nice, decent, all round good guy that my bullshit radar is flashing red. I simply can't put my finger on what it is that bugs me about him (apart from my earlier reference to being childish and dishonourable).

Perhaps I'm too big of a Wiggins fan to ever take to Froome but perhaps I also need my sporting hero's to have an edge to them.
Kipper 01 Jun 2014

> ... I simply can't put my finger on what it is that bugs me about him ...

His current partner (Welsh?); he's not really British?

woolsack 01 Jun 2014
In reply to Kipper:

> His current partner (Welsh?); he's not really British?

He looks like an alien?

andymac 01 Jun 2014

I like Froome .

Seems like a quiet,shy ,decent man to me.

He is also a determined chap ,who like all elite athletes, has always wanted to make his mark and get to the top.

Judging by his outbursts over the years ,public or otherwise ,I would imagine Wiggins would be quite a demanding teammate.
Removed User 01 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

> I like Froome .

> Seems like a quiet,shy ,decent man to me.

Except when he tries to shaft his team leader?

> He is also a determined chap ,who like all elite athletes, has always wanted to make his mark and get to the top.

Which is why I find your first statement difficult to accept.

> Judging by his outbursts over the years ,public or otherwise ,I would imagine Wiggins would be quite a demanding teammate.

I don't doubt it. For me that makes him more "genuine".
andymac 01 Jun 2014

None of us know what was going on in the 2012 race. We have only really ever heard Wiggins version of what went down.

Can you not be a decent man and determined to succeed?

I think they are both genuine. But they are both different types of characters.

I think ,in many respects ,that Froome is an easy target.

Removed User 01 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

TBH, I don't dislike him, I just can't take to him. Its certainly not an argument I'm seeking to win. Each to their own imho.
andymac 01 Jun 2014

Team orders always cause problems.

The current 'relationship' between Hamilton and Rosberg is a prime example of that.

It certainly makes for an interesting Tour .and interesting viewing.

If Wiggins is in the 9 man.
Post edited at 23:49
Removed User 02 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Everyone seems to forget that Sky's remit was to win the tour. They won it with Wiggins which suggests to me that they had the tactics right.

It really doesn't matter whether Froome thought he was better, or thought he could have won it or even if Wiggins was hard to work with. He won the Tour.

Now, had Wiggins failed then the detractors might have a point. But he didn't, so they don't.
 Enty 02 Jun 2014

You've hit the nail on the head there. Froom was paid 1m Euro to do a job properly - he didn't - and for that i'll never forgive him because he tarnished (ever so slightly) the greatest British sporting achievement in my lifetime.
He's a douchebag.

E
 Tom Hutton 02 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

I really admire Froome and really dislike Wiggins... Froome's a consummate professional and was clearly stronger than Wiggins in 2012.

Wiggins tries to do that 'typically British northern lad thing, with a bit of Mod? (wtf) thrown in.

Reminds me of Nigel Mansell v Ayrton Senna although I accept that Wiggins has a bit more talent than Mansell!

And what Froome did in 2012 was made sure Wiggins won. Will Wiggins do the same for him this year.
 The New NickB 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Tom Hutton:

> I really admire Froome and really dislike Wiggins... Froome's a consummate professional and was clearly stronger than Wiggins in 2012.

He wasn't clearly stronger at all.

> Wiggins tries to do that 'typically British northern lad thing, with a bit of Mod? (wtf) thrown in.

Bollocks, Wiggins isn't even northern and doesn't pretend to be. He is clearly his own man, sometimes difficult, but ultimately an increadibly talented athlete with a bit of character.

I don't dislike Froome at all, he is an incredible athlete of the modern mould, an exciting rider, but less interesting off the bike. Not so sure about his mrs.
 Tom Hutton 02 Jun 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I thought he was stronger!

I'll give you the northern thing though - not sure why I wrote that, it wasn't what I was thinking!

I'm perhaps lucky enough not to know anything about his missus... or even who she is... perhaps I'll keep it that way
In reply to Tom Hutton:

> I'm perhaps lucky enough not to know anything about his missus... or even who she is... perhaps I'll keep it that way

I'm not sure how official it is, but she seems to have some sort of management / PR role for him. Most of the anti Wiggins stuff seems to come from her.
 Tom Hutton 02 Jun 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I see... weird. He's clearly good enough to make his points on the bike.
Removed User 02 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

It says a lot about British cycling that we are arguing whether a Belgium or a Kenyan is the greatest British Tour winner.

Wiggins is as Belgian as John McEnroe is German.
 Hat Dude 02 Jun 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> He looks like an alien?

He looks like the Grinch
 FrankBooth 02 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

In a mass-media age, 'sports people' are expected to be 'sports personalities' - and Wiggins has the charisma to play that role very well, whereas Froome seems more reluctant. It's a shame that great athletes are judged less by their achievements, and more by their media-relations.
In reply to FrankBooth:

> In a mass-media age, 'sports people' are expected to be 'sports personalities' - and Wiggins has the charisma to play that role very well, whereas Froome seems more reluctant. It's a shame that great athletes are judged less by their achievements, and more by their media-relations.

This has always been the case, in fact, it is probably less so now than in the past. Most people with any sense will realise that most elite sports people, particularly in endurance sport, are too engrossed in being one of the best in the world at what they do to push there personality, which lets face it is likely to be quiet and reserved. A very small number of the elite have a natural personality which is as big as their sporting talent. Wiggins is one of the few.
Removed User 02 Jun 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

> It's a shame that great athletes are judged less by their achievements, and more by their media-relations.

Its a shame that most people forget just how much better Wiggin's achievements are than Froome's, that Wiggins is hardly the darling of the media and that Froome is likely more controlling of his personal media image than you think.
 woolsack 02 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Rule 4 people!
 Chris the Tall 03 Jun 2014

> It says a lot about British cycling that we are arguing whether a Belgium or a Kenyan is the greatest British Tour winner.

Being born in a stable doesn't make you a horse.

Wiggins has lived in Britain almost all his life, Froome lives in a tax haven
andymac 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

And We can't even call Cav a bona fide Brit either.

He comes from an off shore tax haven.
 niallk 03 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Interesting development:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/03/tour-de-france-bradley-wiggins...

Brailsford making best use of talent at his disposal to succeed at both races then pic n' mix from for France or an early indication of Tour team make-up?

Sky have previously had a considered coalescing of the Tour team over stage races in the 1st half of the year. Though I can't recall how much the Dauphine team has resembled the 9 for July.
andymac 04 Jun 2014
In reply to niallk:

Porte is a loyal Froome foot soldier.

Would be surprised if he wasn't Froomes wingman again.

Would be great if the team included Wiggins.He may prove,again, that he has the form on the Tour de Suisse to have equal billing with Froome .

Might be that will see 2 teams within the 'Team' going for victory ,then consolidating if one rider gains an obvious lead.

If Wiggins plays a supporting role ,he would go up in my estimations ( not that I have a low opinion of him).

I would take my hat off to him.and give him a Dukedom for his efforts.
 Enty 04 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/cycling-froome-casts-doubt-tour-de-fran...

We often refer to "Class" in cycling. And Froome aint got an ounce of it.

E
 andy 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

> We often refer to "Class" in cycling. And Froome aint got an ounce of it.

> E

Have you read the comments below? Nearly all agreeing with your point, then one pops up from a "Michelle" saying "#$%$ journalism. The original interview was with BBC, Chris never spoke to the Daily Mail. Headline completely misleading." - wonder if this is Ms Cound realising that perhaps her media management strategy has slightly missed the mark?
 Toby_W 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

But if you were in his shoes who would you want as your 2nd?

I don't have strong feeling on either in terms of personalities but love their riding styles and that they have won.

Froome's GF seems to be his only poor choice but I rather like him as that set of photos of Chris Froome looking at stems made me smile.

My ideal would be they shake hands and work together to destroy their rivals and depending on the course (not looked yet) and who it suits best along with anything un expected after the first few days the best man leads to win.

My la la land

Toby
 Mr Fuller 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

That interview was with the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27648845 Yahoo have got it wrong, and I think you're reading too much into it. I don't think Froome will get the final say.
 andy 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty: This comment also made me chuckle:

"All the spats aside, its great to see Jimmy Somerville making such a successful transition to professional cycling"
 Enty 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

> But if you were in his shoes who would you want as your 2nd?

> I don't have strong feeling on either in terms of personalities but love their riding styles and that they have won.

> Froome's GF seems to be his only poor choice but I rather like him as that set of photos of Chris Froome looking at stems made me smile.

> My ideal would be they shake hands and work together to destroy their rivals and depending on the course (not looked yet) and who it suits best along with anything un expected after the first few days the best man leads to win.

> My la la land

> Toby

Yes. If Wiggins worked for Froome and gave it everything. A chance for Wiggins to show Froome what class really is.

E
 wynaptomos 04 Jun 2014
In reply to All:

Is it just me or are these books that come out before the end of a sportsman's career ends always a recipe for disaster? Surely a sportsman depends on keeping good relations with their team-mates and slagging people off in a book undermines all that.
They just have to add in all the juicy bits or the book will just be bore-fest and won't sell.
Maybe a bit naive on my part but I just wish they would wait until their sporting days are over.
 andy 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

I know it's not quite the same thing, but the sight of Wiggo in yellow on the front coming into the Champs Elysees to lead Cav out is one that'll stay with me for a very, very long time. He also then buried himself in the Olympic road race for his team mate.
 GrahamD 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

> We often refer to "Class" in cycling. And Froome aint got an ounce of it.

> E

Do "we" ? or is it just a self appointed clique ?
 Chris the Tall 04 Jun 2014
In reply to andy:
> the sight of Wiggo in yellow on the front coming into the Champs Elysees to lead Cav out is one that'll stay with me for a very, very long time.

Yep, that was quite remarkable and possibly unprecedented, but at the same time it was a reposte to Millar's dig at him for not working for Farrar when he was at Garmin (the year Wiggins finished 4th).

And of course Froomes show of team unity last year was a reposte to Wiggins.

These headlines about Wiggins being dropped from the Dauphine are ridiculous - just as many tour contenders will be at Suisse. It's been the case for as long as I've been following cycling that the two races are used as the final warm-up and have equal stature. So it makes sense for Sky to send Froome to one and Wiggo to the other. Wouldn't be surprised if Bertie and Nibbles are at Suisse.

I reckon unless Wiggo bombs at Suisse then the only reason he won't make the Tour is if Froome insists on it - which would be pretty poor PR for him, and the team
Post edited at 11:23
 GrahamD 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

This is where Sir Dave earns his money !
 Chris the Tall 04 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

I'd rather read this than Froome's book

https://twitter.com/velocast/status/474138711270387712/photo/1
 Enty 04 Jun 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> Do "we" ? or is it just a self appointed clique ?

I don't understand what you mean.

E
notaclue 04 Jun 2014
In reply to andy:

> I know it's not quite the same thing, but the sight of Wiggo in yellow on the front coming into the Champs Elysees to lead Cav out is one that'll stay with me for a very, very long time. He also then buried himself in the Olympic road race for his team mate.

All true but in 2012 Froome would have been Wiggins hands down if he hadn't been held back. By far the better cyclist than Wiggins

Also 2012 was probably the most boring tour ever!!!
 woolsack 04 Jun 2014
In reply to notaclue:

And in 2013 Froome would have been b'llxed when he blew up on Alpe d'Huez had not Richie Porte saved his bacon going back to the team car for the infamous gel
 andy 04 Jun 2014
In reply to notaclue:

> All true but in 2012 Froome would have been Wiggins hands down if he hadn't been held back. By far the better cyclist than Wiggins

> Also 2012 was probably the most boring tour ever!!!

Would he? How much time d'you think he'd have taken on the two stages where in the last 2km (one of which was pretty much flat for the last km) d'you think he'd have taken out of Wiggins? Wiggo took about two minutes out of Froome in the TTs.
 GrahamD 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

I'm interested as to who you think the "we" are in cycling ? presumably you aren't including cyclists like myself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...