UKC

Cheddar yesterday??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bluebird 03 Jun 2014
Some talk on Facebook groups of climbers on South side giving abuse to Caves staff yesterday... Apparently the manager is incensed. This is crazy and surely hugely detrimental to the local sport.
OP Bluebird 03 Jun 2014
In reply to JimR:

Indeed, this latest incident happened yesterday apparently...
 JimR 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Bluebird:

Martin posted this on Facebook:

"Sadly this comes on the back of a difficult weekend just gone - part of the Spring Bank Holiday closed week (south side) - when no less than eight teams were caught or observed by Cheddar Gorge & Caves staff to be climbing out of bounds. This is something of a disaster for long-term access prospects, and – oddly – came after the preceding Bank Holiday weekend when there were no problems at all (I was present and talking with climbers). We’ve now been left with trying to dowse ‘the flames’ and coming up with a viable way forward to limit future problems. Doubtless it would go some way towards easing the crisis, therefore, were there to be a good showing of climbers on Monday afternoon 9 June (on legit crags, please!).
I understand Rob Dyer (BMC) is to issue a ‘press release’ re the latest batch of difficulties; so probably best defer any access-related debate until then and in forums under his watch – thanks. (But if anyone has any relevant information, you can email me on martinc@thebmc.co.uk)."
 thomasadixon 03 Jun 2014
In reply to JimR:

Why Monday 9th of June?
 Chris Sansum 03 Jun 2014
In reply to thomasadixon:
There is a royal visit to Cheddar, and they want a climber presence in the gorge to promote the climbing there.
Post edited at 17:22
 Choss 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris Sansum:

> There is a royal visit to Cheddar, and they want a climber presence in the gorge to promote the climbing there.

Jaw meets Floor moment!
 steve taylor 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

> Jaw meets Floor moment!

Why?

I can't make it, but as Martin has asked, a few teams on legitimate crags would help redress the negative impact of the tw4ts from the previous weekend. Were I able to be there, I'd make every effort to support his request if it was going to help the access situation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...