UKC

easy half day scramble near puerto pollenca

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 woodsy 05 Jun 2014
Off for beach holiday in july staying at puerto pollenca.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good half day scrambly walk from there or on bus route.
I am experienced with inexperienced partner. Not planning to take rope or much kit so nothing too exposed.
suggestions will be much appreciated.
thanks
woodsy
 Mark Bull 05 Jun 2014
In reply to woodsy:

Cavall Bernat ridge would be the obvious choice - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=126768 - though it is quite exposed in places, and taking a short rope and a few slings might be a good plan. The easier option is to ascend to the ridge from the col rather than going all the way to the beach: allow 5-6 hours for the round trip.

If you can get a bus to/towards Lluc, you could do Puig Tomir (rough walking with a short section of cable), or Massanella (nice scramble on the N face, but a bit exposed).
OP woodsy 05 Jun 2014
In reply to woodsy:

Thanks mark
I had read up on that and decided it would be pushing it a bit far with my girlfriend.
Travelling very light and wanted to do say 7-11am one morning before it got too hot.
 Scomuir 05 Jun 2014
In reply to woodsy:

You can do some of it, rather than the whole thing. Walk down the valley, then head up to the col, and follow the ridge as far as you want towards the sea, then turn around when you want to back to the col.
 Joak 05 Jun 2014
In reply to woodsy:

I spent a week in Puerto Pollenca with the wife in April, did half of the Serra del Cavall Bernat ridge from the col as described in the Cicerone "Walking in Mallorca" guide book. Some nice exposure with a slightly awkward descent onto the col from the second tower. Spent another four mornings on scrambly walks, all of them in the guide book and doable from the hotel, although I did once catch the bus for the ten minute trip to Cala de Sant Vicenc for my outing on Mola and walked back via the Coll de Siller which takes about an hour. Afternoons were spent relaxing on the beach.
OP woodsy 06 Jun 2014
In reply to woodsy:

Cheers guys
anyone local willing to lend me the walking guide?
Only likely to do one half day on this trip so probably not worth me buying yet another guide.
im in rossendale/bolton area
thanks
woodsy
 Oujmik 06 Jun 2014
In reply to woodsy:

Cavall Bernatt (even the version from the col) is probably a bit much for a short day with an inexperienced partner. It's not generally technical but it is exhaustingly rough and very exposed in some places with a fair bit of walking to complete the circuit.

The trip up Mola mentioned above could be good although unfortunately when I went we didn't complete the route as we were inexperienced at the time and off route (the route is far more obvious once you're on the descent path!). Even this one you may want a short rope depending on your partner's skill and confidence level.
OP woodsy 06 Jun 2014
In reply to woodsy:

Yeh thats what I am thinking. My girlfriend is (bless her) totally un outdoorsy. Only scramble she has done is the short bit at gordale then 3hour walk roynd malham tarn which she loved and was v comfortable with.
last thing I want is an epic though and wont have rope.
would like easy, grade 1/2 not too exposed half day scramble though...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...