UKC

Sticking badges to rucksacks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 05 Jun 2014
Hi folks,
our local Scout group want to put their badge on their rucksack stock. They have tried the sewing route but proved impossible either by machine or by hand.

The seamstress suggested that it should be easy enough to stick it on with something but neglected to say what!

The rucksacks are made from nylon and the badges are your bog standard type of sew on badge.

Was thinking about some sort of fabric glue but it needs to be pretty strong and obviously they don't want the badges to fall off.

Any ideas?
Cheers, Den
 girlymonkey 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

Seam grip or storm sure?
 climber34neil 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

Does Brian may know about this?? Oh my mistake I thought it said badgers!
 Clarence 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

> our local Scout group want to put their badge on their rucksack stock. They have tried the sewing route but proved impossible either by machine or by hand.

Oh they just are not trying. I had to sew canvas unit badges to the cordura on my Karrimor Jaguar S65 when I was a cadet, it takes a strong needle and a pair of pliers but it can be done.
Jim C 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Clarence:

> Oh they just are not trying. I had to sew canvas unit badges to the cordura on my Karrimor Jaguar S65 when I was a cadet, it takes a strong needle and a pair of pliers but it can be done.

I guess none of them got their 'sewing badge' !

Only the Americans could come up with an 'Iron - On' - sewing is fun badge .
Talk about missing the point!

http://www.girlscoutshop.com/THINGS-GIRLS-DO/SEWING-IS-FUN-IRON-ON-PATCH
 Timmd 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Clarence:

> Oh they just are not trying. I had to sew canvas unit badges to the cordura on my Karrimor Jaguar S65 when I was a cadet, it takes a strong needle and a pair of pliers but it can be done.

I was wondering if they have strong enough needles.
 Timmd 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:
I've managed to press a fairly beefy needle through my 1000denier Cordura rucksack fabric by the way, I have to use a thimble but it works.

Tell them the sewing is for their perseverance badge as well*. ()

*You don't half seem to need it in adult life...
Post edited at 23:56
In reply to Clarence:

Right on. I sewed my fabric Blue Peter badge onto my Hot Ice lid with a good strong needle no probs. That's ks100e fabric,pretty stout.
In reply to Denni:

> They have tried the sewing route but proved impossible either by machine or by hand.

Even a domestic machine ought to be able to get through the fabric of a rucksack. If the waterproof coating is a problem, try rubbing some beeswax on the needle to help it slip through the PU coating.
 tjin 06 Jun 2014
1. Check if the patches have the iron on glue layer on the back (if yes, iron)
2. Textile glue, available at any hardware and/or textile store and sold under various brands. Also works on synthetic fabrics. (still can't get the patch of that old pack...)
3. Get big needle and use pliers to hold and press it through the fabric.
 gdnknf 06 Jun 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Even a domestic machine ought to be able to get through the fabric of a rucksack. If the waterproof coating is a problem, try rubbing some beeswax on the needle to help it slip through the PU coating.

I'd agree with this. I can sew through three layers of stiff nylon webbing with our cheap Singer machine without problems.

Although, I'd take the 'give them a strong needle and a thimble and say get on with it scouts!' approach.
 CurlyStevo 06 Jun 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

I agree seam grip will likely work
 Toerag 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:
Seam grip, ShoeGoo, hot-melt glue or the ultimate - Sikaflex 291. They should all work. Bathroom silicone might be good enough, Gripfill won't as it sets too rigidly.
Post edited at 14:57
 tlm 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

What about using a sewing awl?

youtube.com/watch?v=doSNwF86YvQ&
 kathrync 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

I would just sew them on - as others have said, a good needle and a pair of pliers will do the job, although it will be a pain if there are lots to do.

The problem with sticking them on is that you rarely manage to stick them down all the way round the edge so they get caught and rip off however good the adhesive is. I would still put some stitches round the edge even if I were glueing...
 TomBaker 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Toerag:

Why would you recommend sika 291 unless you really hate the people you're suggesting using it too. Sticks like hell, but mostly to your fingers and everything near you.
needvert 07 Jun 2014
In reply to tlm:

> What about using a sewing awl?

Seconded! I've managed to sew through 3 layers of tubular webbing (6 layers of nylon) without issue. Got a slightly different model to that in the video: http://www.speedystitcher.com/120.jpg , they're $12USD on amazon.

Haven't stabbed (and it will be a stab, with the big needles and high forces required to get it through thick materials) myself yet, but I think its only a matter of time.
 yeti 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

some times with awkward stiff fabrics it helps to just let the machine put a series of holes in to make hand sewing easier

works well with leather too thick to sew, you just put each piece through one at a time, then hand sew

or... have a machine like mine, Seiko LSC-8 sews almost anything
wonichols 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

Try using Wonderweb?
m0unt41n 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

I used a bog standard sewing machine from Argos to sew straps for radio and extra straps for loading onto a Crux AK47. Worked OK with care. Biggest problem was trying to fit the rucksack through the small space between the main body of the machine and the needle.

I used Seamgrip to first make sure stuck in correct place then sewed after glue had fixed. Otherwise if trying just to sew it always seem to end up skewed or shifted.
 sbc23 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

Aquasure / aquaseal. Few quid off eBay.

Sticks cloth badges to drysuits no bother, it'll be fine on a rucksack providing you never want to take the badge off.

Steve
 winhill 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

there's someone on fb selling loctite 595 Badge Glue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...