UKC

Adverts in Guidebooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 humptydumpty 06 Jun 2014
Anyone else find these quite annoying in something they've paid a decent amount of money for anyway? I have one guidebook which feels like it's about 20% adverts, and another 20% action photos.
In reply to humptydumpty:

I liked the ones in the costa blanca guidebook that told you how, why and where to get slightly better guidebooks...

Think it depends, as from a selling guidebook perspective it's quite an expensive game for something that will actually go out of date quite quickly, I think anything that subsidises that cost is probably a good thing. Some guidebooks excepted that need to be subsidised because they aren't very good in the first place.
 tony 06 Jun 2014

> Anyone else find these quite annoying in something they've paid a decent amount of money for anyway?

They'd cost more without the adverts.

Adverts are also a really interesting piece of social history. I have a copy of Jane's All The World's Aircraft from 1942. It's got loads of ads for tools and planes and it's fascinating to see the ways in which ads are used to present products. It's also an interesting way to think back to see how far we've come.
 Scomuir 06 Jun 2014

Would you still be happy paying 20-30% more for the guidebook without adverts?

Guidebooks are there to inspire, as well as inform, which is why good action shots help.
Lusk 06 Jun 2014
In my 'Climbs on Gritstone' I'm reliably informed that I can buy 120ft of full weight Alpine rope for 52/-. (which includes postage )
Post edited at 15:57
 Steeve 06 Jun 2014

on the whole I dont mind atall, what bugs me a little is totally irrelevant adverts - for walls the other end of the country, that kind of thing.
 pec 06 Jun 2014

If there's nothing interesting on the other side you could tear out the page and save a bit of weight too?
 Otis 06 Jun 2014

It makes the books cheaper for me to buy and provides (theoretically!) useful information, such as local walls and shiny emporiums of gear for when it rains and you want to stroke things..... What's not to love about that?!?
 Sam Mayfield 10 Jun 2014

As someone who pays for an advert in the Costa Blanca guide I must say it is "THE" most important advert we could ever pay for!

Getting opposite Contents was important this edition and I do think we get loads of business from it!

Sorry if it offends!

Sam Orange

> Anyone else find these quite annoying in something they've paid a decent amount of money for anyway? I have one guidebook which feels like it's about 20% adverts, and another 20% action photos.

Interesting feedback. Do you mind me asking which guidebook this is?

Alan
OP humptydumpty 13 Jun 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Sure, will drop you an email.
OP humptydumpty 13 Jun 2014

I agree action photos can be inspiring, and old adverts can be interesting. Too much action, and contemporary adverts are still annoying though - maybe I should just come back to the guidebook in 20 years and enjoy it's retro massiveness.

In reply to Mr Orange:
If the guidebook ads are so important, I assume they're quite expensive so must make the guidebooks a fair bit cheaper - thanks. One or 2 adverts really isn't a problem for me.
 Sam Mayfield 18 Jun 2014

Mr Orange is actually Mrs Orange lol

I think page per page the cost of the advert is peanuts!

Sam Orange Costa Blanca guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...