UKC

Mystery webbing and 2 buckle harness (Name is: Morris Tymor?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jimrichardson00 09 Jun 2014
Hi there

I'm new here, I have a question about an old harness and was told UKC was a pretty good place to ask.

I am in Australia and my dad has pulled out an old harness he used to take as a backup climbing harness. The problem is we don't quite know how it works and my dad can't remember. It appears to be a long piece of webbing (6m) with a couple of buckles stitched in about 1.5m from one end. It's about 6cm wide. It says its a "Morris Tymor Harness". We are guessing that Morris is the brand and Tymor is the model.

After a decent amount of googling and trying to buckle it up in various ways we still can't figure it out. Its purely academic at this point but anyone got any ideas?

My dad seems to think that it can be buckled up in such a way so that it has leg loops, but it's been suggested that its a swami belt harness, which makes me thing its just a belt.

Pics here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i95aym85lyf257j/AAABzRrdZOKi7sTGmdQc58l_a

Thanks heaps!
 Gordonbp 09 Jun 2014
In reply to jimrichardson00:

I think you'll find that's probably a linesman's belt, for climbing telegraph poles, in which case there aren't any leg loops.
We used to use something very similar but in leather.
 Mr Lopez 09 Jun 2014

It is possible to fashion a harness with it, just like a rope/webbing harness, but i wouldn't want to hang for long on it...

Start at the centre and wrap it around symmetrically first time. You go, small of the back, round to the front and a little more till almost the hips, back and down to the glutes and back out and up upfront through the groin. One strand goes underneath the 'waist band' and you buckle them.

Move the whole thing around after the first time so that the buckles sit somewhere clear where they don't hurt you, and mark the point of webbing that sits now at the middle of the back so that when you put it on the buckles now sit where you want them.

You clip with a large carabiner grabbing the 3 strands at your belly.

Probably nothing of the above makes sense though... Easier to see than it is to explain.
 Mr Lopez 09 Jun 2014

Was looking for some 'diagrams' online and found this other method which looks pretty cool as well, and probably comfier http://www.animatedknots.com/harness/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...