/ Morocco Trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JCLeeds - on 11 Jun 2014
So it looks like I'm planning a trip with my GF to Morocco (possibly Marrakesh) around Oct/Nov time. I'll only have a day to get out climbing but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a relatively new roped climber, I've a small Trad Rack and 50m 10.2 rope though I'm not sure I'd want to take the full rack, might stick to sport stuff.

Any advice on places to visit/stay/where to climb would be great, I'm probably going to be going alone so might need to find a partner whilst I'm there.

Thanks!

James
Ander on 11 Jun 2014
In reply to JCLeeds:

I'm not sure there's much you could do with only a day based out of Marrakech.
Ander on 11 Jun 2014
GridNorth - on 11 Jun 2014
In reply to JCLeeds:

All the climbing I am aware of is a days travel away from Marrakesh either to the North where there is some "Sport" or to the South and Jebel el Kest which is predominantly trad. Finding a partner out there could also be problematical. I was in Jebel el Kest for two weeks and didn't see another single climber.
Kemics - on 11 Jun 2014
In reply to JCLeeds:

The only place i've heard of near Marrakesh is Todra Gorge

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=766 Ukc did a destination article. But it's says it's 5-8 hours from Marrakesh...so probably not worth it for a single day. If you could do 2 days or more, might be worth the trip.

The rest of the developed climbing afaik is in the anti-atlas mountains and is definite trip in it's self (i'd totally recommend it!) but literally nothing for non-climbers or even rest days ;)
Kemics - on 11 Jun 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

yeah good point. Would need to give the GF a crash course in belaying...finding a partner is a slim possibility. Might be able to arrange it online, but at least in the south, if you rock up at the crag ...you'll be alone :)
victorclimber - on 11 Jun 2014
In reply to JCLeeds:

agree with everyone else you aint going to get anything done with just a day and in Marrakesh
Steve Broadbent - on 11 Jun 2014
In reply to JCLeeds:

Check out www.climbmorocco.com - a great website and guiding company run by two Americans based in Marrakech. They're probably your best bet for finding venues / partners in that part of Morocco.
JCLeeds - on 17 Jun 2014
In reply to JCLeeds:

Thanks for all the tips, going to email the ClimbMorocco guys and maybe go solo with those guys!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.